Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive not recognized

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 marija_peg

marija_peg

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

Hello. A month ago I was instructed here on Bleeping Computer that my HD is failing. As it was still under warranty, luckily I got the new HD for free. Now I decided to install Windows 8 on it, and I did so using a bootable USB. I partitioned my disk (system reserved

+ 100GB primary drive + 500 GB secondary drive). I went through the steps until it got to personalizing my settings (finalizing and personalizing my settings took a while to finish). Then the laptop restarted, however, as my boot order was set to USB, it went to Windows installation again. I closed that, restarted the laptop and wanted to change boot order, however there was no hard disk listed or available to choose. I only get the DVD as a boot option. What should I do? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

Hi

Is the HDD is detected in BIOS ?. Some systems do have an option to disable some boot device by adding to an exclusion list. You should check if the HDD is accidentally moved to the "Excluded from boot order" list.

Some system BIOS uses a HDD emulation mode to boot from USB. If that is the case, USB Pen drive may be treated as the first hard disk and hence your HDD may be omitted from the boot list. Remove the USB stick and try to boot. 

#3 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

OK, I don't understand but when I turned it on now (although I already did a restart and there was no HD) to check what you said, and there was a HD Sata 640Gb.That is, to answer your question, no, there was no HD in the BIOS, and now all of a sudden there is one.

I selected it to be the first boot option (the second one being DVD), however I just got this message (which I got before I installed Windows):

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

I removed the USB right after I installed Windows.

Edited by marija_peg, 12 May 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#4 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

Another thing that is happening.. I heard a clicking sound a few times when I tried to boot from HD. This last time I noticed that it clicked when it was trying to boot from it and I got the above message and when I turned the laptop off. Is it possible I got a malfunctioning hard drive? 

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

Hi

Clicking sound from a HDD is an indication of a bad one. Read the below link to help identifying the bad sound. 

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

I assemble computers and sometimes i also get faulty brand new hard disks. A bad connection may also cause the HDD to not detected. So remove the HDD and connect it again. Then enter the BIOS and load default values to make sure that none of the BIOS settings are accidentally messed up. If you still can't see the HDD in boot list, boot from the USB and check if the Windows installer can detect the HDD. 

#6 marija_peg

marija_peg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

OK, I tried to turn it on, and it actually tried to load Windows, but I got a message that there were some problems with the system and for more info search bad_system_config_info. It restarted, again got that Windows message and again a restart when I heard the two clicks and turned it off. Should I just let it be and contact the computer shop that replaced the HD about the problem or can I do something about it? I cannot however, disassemble the HDD, I don't have that expertise and my warranty wouldn't be vaild anymore.

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

Hi

Don't disassemble the HDD !!.  There is nothing you can do by opening an HDD even if it is not under the warranty. I suggest you to contact the seller and ask him to replace it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users