Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Customizing folders at bottom?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lottoo

lottoo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

***SOLVED***

Hey In my "Downloads" folder, I've had this setup for years now:

View: the last option, "content"
Sorted by most recent date
Folders located at the bottom.

Example:
[Icon] FileName       Date, Size
[Icon] Folder           Date

For some mysterious reason, yesterday this changed! Now it looks like the rest of my computer:

[Icon] Folder     Date
[Icon]FileName    Date,Size

In other words, the folders are at the top of the list! It's driving me crazy, anyone know how to fix this? I really can't seem to find any setting for this...

Edited by lottoo, 12 May 2013 - 05:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

Please use the Snipping tool to create an image of this page and post it here, you can find this tool in Accessories under All Programs.   After you have the image you will want to go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name and save it.  

You can post this picture in your next post.  Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the Snipping Tool, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png

Instructions for using the Snipping Tool

Use the Snipping Tool to copy an image, you can find this tool in Accessories under All Programs.  To use this have the image you want to copy on the desktop, click on Snipping Tool.  A small white cross (+) will appear on the screen, move this to the lower left corner of the image you want to copy, press and hold the mouse and slowly move it to the right and upwards.  You will see a red rectangle form around the image, when you have the image isolated that you want, release the mouse.  After you have the image you will go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name then click on Save

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 lottoo

lottoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

As seen in the picture;  The items are sorted after date and the folders are at the top of the list. The folders are above the actual files. It's always been this way on the rest of the computer but in my Download folder in my other computer it's been the other way around. The Download folder on my old computer had all the actual files at the top, listing all the folders at the bottom of the list. Since it's been this way for years, I now have to scroll down about 100 folders before I can see my latest downloaded files.

So basically:
1) Before: All folders listed at the top (like in the picture) except in my Download folder which had all the folders listed at the bottom. 

2) A day ago, something just changed and now, my Download folder now works like the rest of the computer: listing all folders at the top of the list.

3) I prefer the way the Download folder used to work, listing folders at the bottom.

4) I just can't seem to find anything about this! :(

Attached File  Picture.PNG   374.09KB   3 downloads

#4 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

I think this is what you're looking for.

1] Open your Downloads folder.

2] Make sure it's set to View Content.

3] Right click anywhere in the folder, but not on a file. This should pull up a menu with View > , Sort by > , Group by >.

4] Click Sort by and in the next menu that pops up, click More.

5] Scroll down to Folder and check the box. Click OK.

6] In your Downloads folder, again right click, click sort by, and you should see the option to sort by Folders. Select Folders and also select Descending. 

#5 lottoo

lottoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

I think this is what you're looking for.

1] Open your Downloads folder.

2] Make sure it's set to View Content.

3] Right click anywhere in the folder, but not on a file. This should pull up a menu with View > , Sort by > , Group by >.

4] Click Sort by and in the next menu that pops up, click More.

5] Scroll down to Folder and check the box. Click OK.

6] In your Downloads folder, again right click, click sort by, and you should see the option to sort by Folders. Select Folders and also select Descending. 

Thanks it's not quite correct though! It's definitely on the right track since the folders are at the bottom of the list now but the files are not sorted by date. For example, if I download a file now, it should end up at the top of the list since it's the most recent file however it ends up being pretty much randomly placed such as ending up being placed in the middle of the folder.

Edited by lottoo, 12 May 2013 - 03:12 PM.

#6 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

Have you tried selecting Sort by Date Modified and Descending? Windows automatically groups files together and folders together so on my computer when I sort by Date/Descending I think it is organizing it in the way your looking for. 

#7 lottoo

lottoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

Have you tried selecting Sort by Date Modified and Descending? Windows automatically groups files together and folders together so on my computer when I sort by Date/Descending I think it is organizing it in the way your looking for. 

You are indeed correct, this is what I wanted. I feel rather silly now. I tried changing to different ascending, descending, date, latest modified, name and stuff yesterday without any result. I notice that the current setting I have now is Date Modified... Ascending.. Which explains why the folders were on top because once I chose Descending it got fixed ... As mentioned, I tried a whole bunch of combination yesterday but it seems I must've missed that specific combination, which is rather embarassing... I could've sworn that I've tried this before though...

Thanks! :bounce:

Edited by lottoo, 12 May 2013 - 05:56 PM.

#8 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

Awesome! I didn't find out how to sort it correctly at first either, I spent at least twenty minutes searching for a way to sort by two criteria  before finding out that Windows already groups files and folders separately. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users