Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing old Graphic card

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerThor

ComputerThor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

Dear community.

I hope you are all well.

I hope someone can assist me in finding an appropriate new graphic card to replace an old which I think have seen better days.

My assumption is I need a new graphic card due to the flickering on my screen which makes it impossible to read what´s on the screen.

I´ve tried different monitors and it´s the same on both.

Do you think my assumption is correct that replacing the graphic card might solve the issue?

The computer is from 2008 and has below specifications:

AMD Athlon 64 X 2 AM2 5400 + Box 65W

Asus MsN DDR2 SATA2 ATX nForce 430

Samsung Spinpoint T166 250GB SATAll 16MB

Antec Solo Piano Black - miditower - ATX

LC - Power Titan 560W 140mm SLI compatible

Samsung SH-S203D/BEBE bulk black SATA

Galaxy GeForce PCI-E 8800GB 512MB silent

Mushkin DDR2 PC2-800 4GB CL5 kit SP

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1300 MCE kit

How do I find out which graphic cards is compatible with these hardware specifications and any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance

Rgds

Thor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JH1

JH1

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:59 AM

Hey, I think if you get the  type of graphic with PCI-E slot, it will definitely work on your PC

Hope this help

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

Hi

Yes, what you need is the PCI- Express card. If you don't do gaming, any base model like Nvidia 610 or ATI 5450 will work. 

Before replacing the card you should do the following checks.

1 ) Remove the card and clean it's contacts using a pencil rubber. After cleaning is done , insert the card back and check if the issue remains.

2 ) Uninstall your old Nvidia driver and install the new one.

You can uninstall Nvidia driver from "Control Panel --->Programs". You may see 3 or 4 items there. Make sure to uninstall the "Nvidia Display driver" lastly. That is uninstall Nvidia updater, Physx , Nview etc first and remove the driver at last. Now download and install the latest driver from Nvidia site.

http://www.nvidia.in/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-in

#4 ComputerThor

ComputerThor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

Hello,

thank you so much for your suggestion.

I tried cleaning the contacts with a pencil rubber but the problem resist.

Furthermore the computer wants to reinstall Windows and I can´t really read what is on the screen so I´ve aborted it. Would you suggest that I reinstall Windows and would I lose what is on my harddesk? I guess I need to reinstall it if I want to reach the point of uninstalling the drivers

I would actually like to play computer games such as WoW so if it´s just the graphic card which is the problem I would like to buy a suitable one.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:09 AM

Hi

Sorry for the late reply.

You can easily check whether the graphics card is faulty by remove the card from the system. Use your on board video to work the system and check how it works now. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 15 May 2013 - 12:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users