Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help labVIEW senior project!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tom187839

Tom187839

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:28 AM

The program works 100%.... I'm trying to make  it work on windows XP for my client (as a mandatory statement). I've got it working on windows 7 machine  in the lab.

I am running a program in LabVIEW which uses an rs-232 serial port to control a Braintree Scientific BS-8000 syringe pump 
through string commands. I have it working on a windows 7 computer in LabVIEW 2012 but it will not work on a windows xp computer in LabVIEW 2011 (which my client requires it to run on). All of the drivers are up to date, and all of the com port settings are set properly, yet the program will not communicate with the syringe pump on the XP operating system. Besides this issue, the program works just fine.
I tested the serial port using a feedback program and the port sends and receives data properly. I am not sure if this is a windows XP problem, or a serial port issue with LabVIEW or something else.

Thanks much for input and look forward to correspondence.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:59 AM

Hi.

Not trying to make this minimalistic in response; but would running an XP guest virtual machine on a 7 host (or vice versa) be an option?

#3 Tom187839

Tom187839
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:21 AM

How would I go about doing this?

Thanks for the response. Any option is worth trying dude.

This is a lot of work on the line (grade-wise), since the consumer said they must have it run on their machine

Edited by Tom187839, 12 May 2013 - 01:27 AM.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:41 AM

The "lab" machine is the XP, correct?

And the software in question only runs on Win7? And running the prog on XP under compatibility and/or administrator mode (for Win7) has not worked?

Do you posses administrative rights to install a VM and configure it on the target machine?

#5 Tom187839

Tom187839
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

Well I currently (by sheer luck) possess the same exact laptop as the consumer for my back up.  It also was running xp so I just put a fresh copy of windows 7 on it.  Currently, installing the labVIEW software and attempting to figure out if its a Windows issue.  Will keep in touch.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

I just had a very quick look at the NI site for Labview system requirements and the 2012 version is listed as running on 32 bit Win XP SP3, but makes no mention of 64 bit. I tried to check the requirements for 2011, but that is where it got a bit confusing. I think it only gives the data for the current product, which appears to v2012.  Might the 32 / 64 bit difference be the problem ?

A VM is very easy to set up in Win 7 but I am not sure that it is the answer here. You set up a VM to run a different operating system on - in this case it would be XP - and then you run the software you want to run on XP in the VM. I did this a little while ago as an experiment to get some old software to run, and it worked. My primary objective was to get an old sim to run, which it did but very slowly. Interestingly, some truly ancient CAD software ran very well inside the VM. But what I was trying to do was to get old software to run on a modern operating system, and, if I understand Tom correctly, he is trying to get contemporary software to run on an older system.

It may be a lot of work, but will v2011 run on a Win 7 machine ?  If it can, do the pump command sequences work ?  In which case, which is more important to the client - using v2011 against v2012 or using a Win 7 computer against one running XP ?  Just some thoughts.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#7 Tom187839

Tom187839
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

Still failing, the problem is not the cable, not the device, and not a faulty serial port or the actual program in labVIEW.  It has to do with how the program sends the signal through the serial port and this is over my head, I don't know where to start.

Thanks Chris, I did however manage to set up Windows 7 (on the previously running XP computer) and I still can't get this to work.

Edited by Tom187839, 13 May 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#8 Tom187839

Tom187839
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

My wondering is if anyone would know how I could get like a log file or something through the serial port.

#9 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:11 PM

Could there be an exception to the the .exe file be created for firewall and antivirus/malware?

My meds are kickin' in and I gotta study a bit.... :bounce:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users