Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which is best dvd or data disc

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 leapy

leapy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:24 AM

I am hoping to burn some films(avi) to disc and was hoping you could advise me as to the best way to do this. I can either convert them and burn them as dvd or just put them on as a data disc. What I am not sure about is which is the best way so as to keep the original quality. Thank You Leapy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:22 AM

Keep them as AVI on your DVD disc instead and use data disc option to burn them. Much faster and convenient unless there are chances you would watch some on your DVD player in the future.

Tekken

#3 zzz7

zzz7

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

Burning them as a data disc is fine..........but what I do is use Format factory to convert them to *.mpg and then burn them.

This way they'll play on most DVD players,and they keep the same quality.

http://www.pcfreetime.com/

#4 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:51 PM

the best way to keep quality is to avoid conversions of any kind (even if you do a lossless conversion the new file will be much larger), however if you plan to play these dvds in a dvd player for a tv then you will most likely need to burn them as DVD-VIDEO discs rather than data discs.

Signature.

#5 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

Yeah, you can't play data discs in a dvd player.

Hulk_Tag.png

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

Some DVD players can, in fact, play certain video file formats from a DVD data disc...just like some CD (and DVD) players can play MP3 discs (i.e. CD data discs with MP3 files on them). You would need to check what the specific DVD player it capable of supporting. What you say is certainly true for older DVD players (i.e. typically more than about half dozens years old or so).

#7 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

Some DVD players can, in fact, play certain video file formats from a DVD data disc...just like some CD (and DVD) players can play MP3 discs (i.e. CD data discs with MP3 files on them). You would need to check what the specific DVD player it capable of supporting. What you say is certainly true for older DVD players (i.e. typically more than about half dozens years old or so).

Interesting, good to know. :)

Hulk_Tag.png

#8 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:28 AM

It used to be so simple.  You had horrible 8-tracks or cassettes or records 33 78 and 45.

Now its very confusing between cd's and dvd's etc.   Not a solution, just a comment sorry to interrupt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users