Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to set up network without ridiculous connection problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bennyboy371

bennyboy371

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

I'm having some pretty blatant issues here, and I've been poking about on forums the last week unable to find anything to help me out.

Anyway, I just got to this place that already had AT&T DSL, so I buy a D-Link DIR-605L pretty cheap off Amazon. Decent reviews, etc. I set it up, and no matter what i do, everybody on the network has horrible connectivity. I'm not even sure what the issue is. Essentially, I've done plenty of pinging websites, and there's 0% packet loss, but most of the times it'll take up to a few dozen refreshes before a page will load. Sometimes it'll load half the page, sometimes none of it. Pictures and videos will stop loading, forcing a refresh. My bedroom is about fifty feet from the router, but my devices still have enough of a signal to think this shouldn't be so bad. Even the system wired directly into the router won't work correctly.  

I have my router set up with DHCP, since the modem is handling everything else. I tried to set OpenDNS on the router, but that just makes everything cease to load for some reason, but manually setting DNS on my PC works fine.

DHCP Server Enabled

DHCP Lease Time: 1440

MTU: 1492

Beacon: 50

RTS: 2304

Fragmentation: 2346

Bandwidth: 20 Mhz

Multicast Screams enabled

Let me know if you have any more questions on my set up, and I'd really appreciate any help that I can get.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention. Any connections made from any device to my router's web login are usually lightning fast and without fail, no matter how far I am from the router. I'm just not sure why it's not connecting to the internet well.

Edited by bennyboy371, 11 May 2013 - 06:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

Log into your router and See what its WAN IP address is. There is a 99% chance its a private IP (192.168.X.X) which means your "Place" Already has one router providing NAT. Your router is setup for DHCP and providing NAT. This can cause connection issues. How is the speed when connected without the router. 

Edited by Sneakycyber, 12 May 2013 - 07:36 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 bennyboy371

bennyboy371
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

Yeah, it is, so I have my router set up to be 192.168.0.1, and it's providing 192.168.0.100-149 for the clients connected to it. The connection has gotten much better since I changed the modem itself from "Connect On Demand" to "Always on". I tried the PPPoE on router, but it didn't work at all. The speed when connected without the router is perfect, and perfect with the router when it connects.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

I may have miss understood your first post. Is your router connected directly to the modem? What is the model number of the modem?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users