Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Not Get Rid Of This!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stryfe

Stryfe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:42 PM

It doesn't appear to make my computer run slower, but I have an empty file that even after deleting reappears. It is a metadata folder that is empty. I also find in many of my other files "thumbs" icons with the little gear symbols. They are data base files and like the other, once delted they will return. They are mostly in picture and video folders. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 04:33 PM

Windows creates temporary files constantly. Sounds as if you're trying to delete system files. Thumbs database files are there if you have folders set to view thumbnails. It's how Windows keeps track of things. Metafiles are usually to redirect things away from browsers that they cannot handle or display. It's a good idea, methinks, to leave such files be. Go into your explorer window's tools tab, select "Folder Options" and click the "View" tab, and check the radio button to "Do not show hidden files and folders" and "Hide protected operating system files" and don't mess with this stuff unless you're instructed to by a member of the Hijack team. You may have been lucky so far, but one of these days, your operating system is going to refuse to start. I've often had to reload operating systems because someone was deleting system files from the root directory.

Unless you suspect malware, there is no reason to delete files and folders like the ones you mentioned.

#3 Stryfe

Stryfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:10 PM

Thank you for your help,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users