Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to open control panel in windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lavakiran95

lavakiran95

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

Whenever I try  to open control panel 
1.a blank window of control panel opens without any options
2.then windows explorer window opens 
3.windows explorer stops working             
4.windows explorer is restarting..              

5.windows explorer has stopped working

Then I click on "close prgram" to close the control panel

please help me find a solution except formatiing the C-drive

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

HI,

Several things you could try. First off is to go back to a restore point before this problem started. Normally you would do this through 'Control panel - Restore' but that is not an option in your case !

Immediately you boot your computer, while the BIOS screen is showing, press the 'F8' key - this will bring up the boot options screen. Down towards the bottom is an option 'Repair computer'. Use the up and down arrows to select this and the 'Enter' key to choose it and 'Repair' will start to run. It may fix the problem without any further input from you. If it does, great. If it doesn't, it will come up with a screen asking if you want to choose 'Advanced repair options'. Select this, and the next screen will ask if you want to restore from an earlier restore point. Again, select this.

Here, a screen will open up listing the available restore points with the dates they were created. Choose the latest one from before this problem started happening and let it run, and your problem should be fixed. If it isn't, you can repeat the process choosing an earlier restore point.

Alternatively, you can run a repair install from a Windows installation disc. Start your computer, put the disc in a drive and re-boot. You will get a message 'Press any key to boot from CD'. Do so - I usually hit the space bar, it's the biggest !  Once it has gone past the starting Windows screen you will be given a choice screen - 'Install Windows' or 'Repair Windows'. Choose 'Repair', and again, let it do what it does. Again, this should sort your problem.

One other point, it is possible you have picked up some infection that is causing your problem, although I haven't heard of one that knocks out 'Control panel'. I suggest that, if you haven't already got it, you download Malwarebytes from here :-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

install it and follow the instructions.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 lavakiran95

lavakiran95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:49 AM

Hi @Chris Cosgrove

I cant repair my computer using F8 key because i did not create any system restore point in the past 

So, there is no point of repairing at the time of boot.

please suggest me any other options of fixing this problem..

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:15 AM

Hi

You can try a repair install which preserves your data and installed programs. Read the below guide to know how to do that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

Make the system is malware free before doing that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users