Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Rebooting Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 angrysquirrel

angrysquirrel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

Hello,

I have a question maybe someone could give some thoughts on.  I have a Compaq Presario V6500 series laptop that has a strange quirk.  I have some theories but wanted some feedback.  This laptop is doing a Power On, reboot loop.  I know what you would probably say thinking it is the AMD/Nvidia graphics chip issue BUT please keep reading.

1.  After Powering the system on, after two seconds, it powers off then reboots into this continued cycle.

2.  Doing some research on the net, I discovered it COULD BE the dreaded graphics chip failure.

3.  After MUCH trial and error of removing components such as hard drive and memory etc, it still did the reboot cycle.

4.  Removing the LCD Cable from the motherboard STOPPED the reboot cycle and the system stayed on.  Happy that this happened, I plugged this into an external monitor and lo and behold, the Vista Desktop was showing!

5.  I removed the LCD Screen assembly (Cable/LCD screen/Mounting Brackets) from ANOTHER V6000 laptop I had that worked.

6.  I installed the working assembly into the problem base laptop and powered it on.  STILL THE SAME PROBLEM OF REBOOT LOOP.

7.  So if it is NOT the LCD Cable or LCD Screen which is causing the overload/reboot loop, what could it be?

My theory is that the Motherboard port that the LCD cable inserts into is bad or this is still caused by a faulty NVidia Chip???  If it is the chip, why would it boot without the cable plugged into the board and work on an external monitor?

Has anyone else had an issue like mine?

Thanks!

Angrysquirrel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

since you are this deep in your disassembly I assume you tried to boot with minimum components. I am baffled that if it is the video chip reflow issue that you can connect an external monitor.

If you use the external to reset vista's auto restart feature http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvista/ht/arestartvista.htm

then plug in built in monitor will we get the blue screen error code ?

#3 angrysquirrel

angrysquirrel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

UPDATE: I disabled the auto restart on Vista via Safe Mode AFTER reformatting the hard drive.  I plugged in the LCD Cable into the motherboard and it miraculously worked.  The screen came on and everything.  I am still scratching my head on this as there was no BSOD or Restart loop.  I was about to troubleshoot an error code if it did restart or BSOD but none came.  This couldn't have been a Vista issue either since the restart loop came prior to booting into Windows in my opinion.  It restarted about 2 seconds after turning on the power with a minor click sound.  Anyways thanks for a response and I hope this might bring insight to what might happen to anyone in the future with this kind of problem!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users