Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BLACK SCREEN -- WON'T START UP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ohbleep

ohbleep

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

Hey all, I've been having a rather unusual start up problem, which I can't find relevant information on, through google:  

When I try to turn my laptop on, it only gets so far:

vaio logo

Attached File  logo.jpg   144.51KB   1 downloads

then black screen with tiny flashing dash

Attached File  dash.jpg   149.81KB   5 downloads

and that's where it stubbornly stops. Every time.

I can't even get to the boot menu. No amount of hitting F8 takes me to the boot menu, or produces ANY response (yes, it's definitely F8 on this computer). The only thing the computer responds to in this state is ALT+CTRL+DEL, which restarts it.

A bit of context:

Last night my computer had a small "blue screen" crash -- nothing unusual, this has happened to me before on this and other computers, without any serious damage. But this time, I'm having the problems described above. 

What I've tried so far

Here's what happens when I try to boot using my Windows Vista installation/recovery disk, downloaded and burned from this site.

Vaio logo, black screen with dash, and then upon hitting F8:

Attached File  penguin.jpg   204.87KB   4 downloads

I hear the CD drive spin (which is a good thing, means it's working), but then an image of the Ubuntu penguin and lots of commands that I don't understand. That's absolutely not what the CD is supposed to do.

I have not been able to get past this point, and have no idea what to do next. I can't even find relevant information on google.

Edited by ohshit, 11 May 2013 - 01:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:54 PM

One thing to check first is if the drive is not dead or still usable at this stage. Try reseatting the hard drive but first inspect the pins and contact points if they are not damaged or dirty. If everything is clear, reseat it properly with some or most laptops have screws to keep them firmly in place. Remove the laptop battery and press the power button for half a second. Now try booting it up again. If nothing happens go here and use the bootable disc to try and salvage your data. Let us know how it work out. :)

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users