Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop shuts off / restarts during gaming

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aeonise

aeonise

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the hardware section.  Hopefully someone can move it if needed.

Here's my speccy to start with.  The system is a custom-ordered XoticPC laptop built off the MSI 1761 with the GTX 580M and Core i7 2670QM.  I've had it for almost exactly a year.

As for the problem, the computer simply clicks off, rather like a desktop that has had the power cord yanked, then restarts a second or two later.  Sometimes it will do this several times in a row without ever getting through the BIOS screen, so I don't imagine it can be a virus or other software issue.  The problem only ever starts when I've been playing a graphics-intensive game for at least a couple hours, but watching my temps in speedfan never shows anything even reaching 90C.  I'm wondering if it could be a heat issue in some part of the system that isn't getting picked up by speedfan but is still monitored in some other way.  Another weird thing is how inconsistent the problem is:  It happened frequently for about a week, then not once for over a month prior to starting again yesterday.  All I can really say for sure is that it definitely seems related to placing a heavy load on the GPU.

I'll be opening things up for a thorough cleaning tomorrow after I buy a set of jeweller's screwdrivers to replace the ones I left back state-side (I'm currently in Japan).  In the meantime, does anyone have any other ideas as to what could be causing this?  I've also noted that my ridiculously huge power block can get hot enough to hurt, but the shutoffs have occurred even when it is still fairly cool.  I'm also wondering if I should try replacing the thermal compound on the GPU given the custom nature of the system, but that would have to wait quite a while for me to order the necessary material.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Edited by hamluis, 11 May 2013 - 12:57 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

Hi

You are on the right track. Cleaning dust and applying thermal paste on both CPU and Graphic chip is the first thing to do when a Laptop shutdown itself. Some times Speed fan and other temperature monitoring softwares May not read the temperature correctly due to incompatible BIOS.

You can use canned air and home vacuum cleaner to clean the dust inside the laptop. Especially note the dust accumulated inside the heat sink fins. When you apply thermal paste, make sure to clean the residues of old compound from CPU surface and heat sink surface. Also wear a glows to avoid static electricity.  Following guide will give you a basic idea.

http://www.howtogeek.com/67660/how-to-diagnose-and-fix-an-overheating-laptop/

http://worldtv.com/blog/guides_tutorials/fixing_an_overheating_laptop_-_a_laymans_guide.php

http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2009/03/06/learn-something-how-to-clean-your-laptop-to-solve-overheating-problems/

#3 aeonise

aeonise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:04 AM

It's been a busy couple of weeks for me, but I've managed to work in a little time for the computer.  Opened it up, cleaned out the fan and heatsinks (not as much dust as I expected), and replaced the thermal paste on both the processor and GPU.  It doesn't appear to have made any significant difference.  I've also had the computer shut off when I am not running games or anything taxing.  I once let it boot up, logged in, and just left it like that overnight.  When I woke up, it had shut off and restarted.  Logging temps in SpeedFan, Core Temp, and GPU-Z show temps not even topping 50C on multiple shut offs.  I've also tried removing the battery and running purely on AC power, but the shutoffs still occurred, so it isn't the battery.

Is it possible for the inline power supply in my charger to cause the shut offs?  I have yet to have one occur while the charger was disconnected, but the randomness of the shutoffs makes it hard to tell if that is indicative of anything.  I've also read about someone having a similar problem that was being caused by incorrect voltage settings on memory, so I'm considering double-checking my RAM and a run of Memtest86+, but I'll have to go buy a flash drive just for that. 

Anyone have suggestions on my next step?

Edited by aeonise, 24 May 2013 - 08:10 AM.

#4 aeonise

aeonise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

Also, is there a way to edit the topic title?  I've seen multiple shutoffs when I wasn't running any game, so I would like to amend my topic title for accuracy, but my initial post no longer displays the 'Edit' link.

Edited by aeonise, 24 May 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

You can use canned air and home vacuum cleaner to clean the dust inside the laptop. 

There are vacuum cleaners made especially for cleaning computers.  The reason for this is that a home type vacuum cleaner is a great generator for static electricity.  Electrostatic discharges can kill board components, all it takes is 10V.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users