Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD light constantly on, system freezes periodically

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 downward

downward

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

Hi

My system's HDD light is constantly on and if I try to do anything (surf,watch video,listen to music) the system hangs for a few seconds then continues.

I did run Malware bytes, AVG,Superantispywae and everything looks OK.

Any ideas?

thanks

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

1. Check Scheduled tasks to see if anything is scheduled to run in the background

2. Check settings on your av, defrag, etc apps to see if they are set to run a scheduled times in the background

3. Open Task Manager to the Performance Tab. Sort on the CPU column. Which process is using the cpu when the hd light is on?

#3 downward

downward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

I checked to see if anything was running and nothing was during this period. I started up a movie and it when it hung I took a screen shot of the task manager performance screens it's attached.

Hope this helps

Attached Files

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

1. Check Scheduled tasks to see if anything is scheduled to run in the background

2. Check settings on your av, defrag, etc apps to see if they are set to run a scheduled times in the background

3. Open Task Manager to the Performance Tab. Sort on the CPU column. Which process is using the cpu when the hd light is on?

#5 downward

downward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

I did that but none are more than 2%.....taskmgr , firefox, flashplayer plugin......thats why I posted the screenshot before.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) Please boot to safe mode. Does the hd light remain on?

#7 downward

downward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

I did install some audio mixing freeware that's legit but I restored to a previous date thinking that would solve the problem but it doesn't. I did boot in safe mode with networking and everything is running very smooth with no pauses and no programs hanging with no response for 30 seconds,  what do you advise?

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#9 downward

downward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for the help, I've actually narrowed it down to AVG. I uninstalled it, installed Avast and my PC runs great now.

Jim

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

Great- glad to help. Thanks for the post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users