Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limited Sharing of Special Folder on Win XP Home

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rdkapp

rdkapp

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:28 AM

I have a Home Network with 3 computers wired by ethernet and a variety of wireless devices that connect from time to time, including Macbooks and Windows laptops.  Of the 3 wired computers, mine dual boots to Win XP Pro and Win 7 (64-bit), and the other 2 run Win XP Home.  One of the Win XP Home computers has a folder on it that has important data that I need to have full access to from my computer, but I need to otherwise limit/deny access by others, including the other Win XP Home computer and all the wireless devices.

Through Safe Mode w/Networking, I was able to grant permission to the entire Network for full access to the folder, but I cannot figure out how to limit it to only me.  When I was in Permissions, it wouldn't let me choose a specific computer (i.e. Location) in the network, nor did I see a way to password the folder.

I know I could move the folder to my computer and grant access to the one Win XP Home computer user, but for reasons that would be too lengthy to explain here, I prefer not to do it that way.

Is there a way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

Hi rdkapp

Have you seen this link for XP file sharing?

Edited by jhayz, 11 May 2013 - 09:42 PM.

Tekken

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

The other overall option would be to use something like TrueCrypt to create a virtual encrypted disk file that you then put all those file in. Then even though anyone on the network could still potentially get to that virtual encrypted disk files with the files in it, they would have to have the encryption key to de-crypt and mount the virtual disk to access the sensitive files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users