Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serveur 2012 administration

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mahamat

mahamat

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:33 AM

hi everybody,

Well, I just got promoted to administrate 2 serveurs 2012 hosting a web application. One of the serveur is the main and the second one is the backup and they are all runing SQL 2012 serveur managment. the 2 are connected to the net via a router and they are locally linked via a switch.

I need to create a dayly backup to the backup serveur and need to know some basic tasks in order to maintain those servers. I apreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RecklessX

RecklessX

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

Welcome Mahamat,

Are you only looking to perform a backup of SQL or simply use the secondary server as an emergency server in the even the first server crashes?

#3 mahamat

mahamat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:34 AM

Hi,

Thx for the interest, I would say bove since I would like to save SQL data base from the main server to the second and keep it in the event the first server crashes as you mention. thx again for the reply.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

What kind of redundancy or downtime are you looking for zero Downtime or 1-2 hours? Are the Servers on a Domain or Workgroup?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 04 June 2013 - 04:48 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 mahamat

mahamat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:47 AM

Hello,

As I mention on my first post above, the 2 servers are locally link via a switch within the same subnet and I'm looking for a zero downtime. they are supposed to be on a workgroup but I'm not sure about this configuration.

Thx for the reply.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:44 AM

Sql server 2012 has Always on failover cluster capabilities Using Windows server failover clustering. This will provide 100% up time (unless all the servers crash ) See this msdn article on failover clusters and this msdn article on Sql server failover clustering. Also if you don't have a raid 10 setup I would highly reccomend it on both Sql servers.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users