Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iCloud issue(s)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:02 AM

I switched from Windows XP Pro to Windows 7 Pro, so I could utilize the iCloud that comes with my iPad & iPhone 5. It was said I could sync all the devices; which I can, but the colors invert when I click "Open iCloud Control Panel".

The colors invert after the monitor changes to another phase & the screen flips. I went through the trouble shooting prompts & I thought that it was going to clear up. It didn't.

I know that it wants me to setup Outlook, but I already use Thunderbird?

What advice can anyone give from this forum.

Thanks ahead of time.

And I attached the screenshot to illustrate the color change.

I did try the 16bit setting.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 18 May 2013 - 09:31 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:14 AM

Still no bites?
I went ahead & called the maker of the video card, NVIDIA & they said it was an OS problem. Of course Microsoft said it was Apple's & then not to be the only one fixing the blame, Apple said it was a Microsoft problem.

Anyway, took it to the local computer nerd store & they say that iCloud is changing the resolution. The service tech went right in & adjusted the resolution through iCloud, but when clicked on again, the resolution & the colors invert.

I wonder if it makes a difference of what browser that is used, to download iCloud on?

#3 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:32 AM

I am still trying to resolve the issue, with icloud. I went into the control panel & clicked 'remove programs'---> 'icloud' "change/remove". Either uninstalling or repair, I got the same message that Windows was missing an install component & that there was a "fatal error".

I would think there would be folks on this forum, with some experience with meshing icloud to windows?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

I think the simplest thing for you to do is re-install the iCloud software on your Win 7 machine since you appear to be missing some components.

If you want to uninstall all remnant components before you start, then download the Revo uninstaller (it's free) from

www.piriform.com

Chris Cosgrove

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:11 PM

Hello, sorry for the long wait. 

Is iCloud the only program that causes this to happen?

Can you post your system specs for us:
  • Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.
  • Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.
  • You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!
Have you tried updating your graphics driver? Is this happening with any other application you try to install or uninstall?

Edited by computerxpds, 23 March 2014 - 11:39 AM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

I think the simplest thing for you to do is re-install the iCloud software on your Win 7 machine since you appear to be missing some components.

If you want to uninstall all remnant components before you start, then download the Revo uninstaller (it's free) from

www.piriform.com

Chris Cosgrove

I will gladly do that, re-install. I am concerned another can of worms will be out to haunt me though? I saw a website tutorial, on how it was a difficult issue to uninstall Apple's icloud... It wasn't pretty, and it had me pulling my hair out watching the YouTube video tutorial, because it had the computer operator, having to make changes to the registry!

If there is a program, 'Revo unistaller', as you say, I will be happy to use it. I am going another route at this time, with log submitted to Apple for review; so they say...

I noticed on the log that was generated, that it says "XP". Though this machine was formerly an XP & I put Windows 7 Pro on top. That is, as it slipped me at the time, there wasn't a step in the procedure for uninstalling XP; just a file transfer, with the previous step being the compatibility wizard. I did wonder later, why not the step of taking off XP?

And, this machine, though a former XP, won't support XP mode.

Again, I hope to hear from other people weighing in on this, that 'Revo uninstaller' is the way.

Thanks

jeff

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:49 AM

The iCloud control panel should not be causing the change in colors or resolution unless some thing is really wrong with the installation. The iCloud control panel normally should have no "special" interaction with the graphics card, etc.

I would suggest you try what computerxpds suggested and answer his questions. I would tend to agree with him that the leading suspect in my mind would be the driver for the graphics card/chipset.

As to uninstalling the iCloud control panel, I would first suggest downloading it again and trying running the install again to see if it will do a new install over the existing install. If that does not work and you cannot use Windows add/remove function to remove it, then it might be work trying Revo Uninstaller.

#8 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:26 PM

Hello, sorry for the long wait. 

Is iCloud the only program that causes this to happen?

Can you post your system specs for us:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.
  • Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.
  • You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!
Have you tried updating your graphics driver? Is this happening with any other application you try to install or uninstall?

computerxpds, thanks for the reply; Speccy:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/2juepip8S4v3kkmW0jxBBf3

iCloud is the only program that I am being troubled with, in regards to iphoto. I am currently trying to resolve the issue; I didn't catch this post from you until now & am still in need of assistance.

Thanks.

#9 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:41 PM

By the way computerxpds,

I am not having trouble with the color invert at this time. The graphic card can not be updated, as this machine in its previous life was an XP. I had this machine built by Dell in 2007, with XP PRO. I didn't want VISTA, as it was not a popular system of the time & saw forth to remain with XP.

When I found that I couldn't run icloud, to sync with Apple devices, I then decided to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro. I ran the compatibility program & found that I could upgrade. I transferred the files & wrote Windows 7 over the XP, because that is what was directed of me.

When it came time to update the NVIDIA graphics, it turned out the machine would support that aspect?

Looking beyond the color invert & to that of the problems of the photo sync, I am able to have show up at a certain time. They might be just a couple of a set of pics? Or they are pics from an arbitrary time that show?

It is sort of driving me nuts, as the whole reason for upgrading, was to utilize the icloud capable feature. This is a 32 bit, if that is any concern for the capability?

Thanks again, computerxpds,

for looking on.

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:08 AM

By the way computerxpds,

I am not having trouble with the color invert at this time. The graphic card can not be updated, as this machine in its previous life was an XP. I had this machine built by Dell in 2007, with XP PRO. I didn't want VISTA, as it was not a popular system of the time & saw forth to remain with XP.

When I found that I couldn't run icloud, to sync with Apple devices, I then decided to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro. I ran the compatibility program & found that I could upgrade. I transferred the files & wrote Windows 7 over the XP, because that is what was directed of me.

When it came time to update the NVIDIA graphics, it turned out the machine would support that aspect?

So, you are not having the color invert problem anymore? Is that correct?

Just out of curiosity, what make you say you cannot upgrade the video card? Unless it is an integrated graphics card (i.e. built-in to the motherboard), you should be able to upgrade. Even if it is integrated, you still likely should be able to upgrade it. The limiting factor might be the power supply that cal with your Dell. What is the model number of the Dell?

Looking beyond the color invert & to that of the problems of the photo sync, I am able to have show up at a certain time. They might be just a couple of a set of pics? Or they are pics from an arbitrary time that show?

It is sort of driving me nuts, as the whole reason for upgrading, was to utilize the icloud capable feature. This is a 32 bit, if that is any concern for the capability?

Thanks again, computerxpds,
for looking on.

Beside the photo syncing (called Photo Stream), does the other aspects of iCloud work, such as the contact or calendar syncing? Note that contact and calendar syncing ONLY work with Microsoft Outlook on Windows…not with any other email client.

If Photo Stream is the only issue, then there are other ways to backup your photos from your iOS devices. I personally don't use the Photo Stream function of iCloud with my iOS devices and Macs. My dad tried Photo Stream, but it seemed to be sporadic with his Windows machine kind of like what you describe. So, I setup DropBox for him to sync his photos from his iPhone to his computer. Works well.

#11 mixpix

mixpix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

By the way computerxpds,

So, you are not having the color invert problem anymore? Is that correct?

Just out of curiosity, what make you say you cannot upgrade the video card? Unless it is an integrated graphics card (i.e. built-in to the motherboard), you should be able to upgrade. Even if it is integrated, you still likely should be able to upgrade it. The limiting factor might be the power supply that cal with your Dell. What is the model number of the Dell?

It is a Dell ' INSPIRON 1520 '. Maybe I misspoke? It is regards to the Drivers for it, to keep up with what graphics Windows 7 needs of it; I think? At least, that is what the prompt put up, in when I was attempting to follow the steps in the download process.

smax013,

I am willing to take any measure or suggestions to upgrade this machine or increased abilities of it, within reason. I was able to go on to the Dell website & get those drivers, but I think they abandon support for a machine as old as this one? It was sent out to me in 2007. They preloaded it with XP, as I wasn't interested in a Vista OS.

#12 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

It is a Dell ' INSPIRON 1520 '. Maybe I misspoke? It is regards to the Drivers for it, to keep up with what graphics Windows 7 needs of it; I think? At least, that is what the prompt put up, in when I was attempting to follow the steps in the download process.

smax013,
I am willing to take any measure or suggestions to upgrade this machine or increased abilities of it, within reason. I was able to go on to the Dell website & get those drivers, but I think they abandon support for a machine as old as this one? It was sent out to me in 2007. They preloaded it with XP, as I wasn't interested in a Vista OS.

I had realized it was a laptopI don't believe you ever said one way or other and I had just assumed it was a desktop. I should not have assumed.

End result is that you cannot likely upgrade the video cardas you originally stated.

And looking at Dell's support site, they do not offer a Windows 7 driver for that video card. So, for drivers, you can either stick with whatever Windows 7 installed by default, you could try the Vista driver from Windows 7 (Vista drivers will sometimes work as a substitute for Windows 7 drivers), or maybe see if a generic nVidia driver from the nVidia site might work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users