Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the Difference Between a Virus & a Variant of a Virus?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 th3fall3n777

th3fall3n777

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

I was recently assisted (quite successfully I must say) by a member of the BleepingComputer staff with an infection removal process.  My question as this comes to a close (not sure if this is the right spot or not), but what would be the difference between having the Reveton virus or a Variant of the Reveton virus?  I've dealt with having to remove the FBI Randsomware Reveton and now I've deal with a variant of it (different machines, different users); specifically a "variant of Win32/Reveton.R trojan."  I know there are obvious differences - the Reventon splattered an FBI banner across the screen saying it had found all kinds of nasty crap on PC A, but on PC B, there were no such obvious problems, just system performance issues, and an ESET Threat detection.

Finally, why the "Reventon.R?" Does that indicate a different class of the Reventon infection? 

Any light anyone could shed on this would be appreciated!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

Trojan:Win32/Reveton.R!
It is installed on your computer by a variant of the Trojan:Win32/Reveton family of ransomware. This family can lock your computer and demand payment of a fine.

There are several variations as shown in the links, but they seem to be based on the same idea.

Regards and Safe Surfing -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users