Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Harddrives One Computer To Another

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cathy424

Cathy424

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:44 PM

I am thankful to have found this site, hope my question is clear and I find I can follow all your directions. We have C2684 EMachine at our auto shop. It won't turn on. When unplugged and re-plugged, the cooling fan starts up but the computer will not come up.
Took hard drive out and switch with other emachine C2782, the C2768 worked with the C2684 hard drive,but the monitor screen is too large print and ask to change resolution, but when did the resolution was too small. Also, notes new hardware detected.
What to do, our shop invoice program is on this hardrive. Anxiously waiting...
Thank you...Cathy424

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:26 PM

One would assume that the second computer has different hardware than the first computer. Sometimes, Windows will find and install some of the drivers necessary, sometimes not. In this case, it's a pretty good bet that the video is different from one machine to the other.

There are various ways to solve this problem. One is to find out what hardware is in the second computer and install the drivers for it. Another is to use the original hard drive in that computer, put the second hard drive in as slave, and copy your backups from the second hard drive to the first, assuming you have room to install the same programs and the data.

Another possibility is to find out what caused the original computer to quit - could be a failing power supply or video card. (Or even a bad CD-Rom)

#3 Cathy424

Cathy424
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:31 PM

One would assume that the second computer has different hardware than the first computer. Sometimes, Windows will find and install some of the drivers necessary, sometimes not. In this case, it's a pretty good bet that the video is different from one machine to the other.

There are various ways to solve this problem. One is to find out what hardware is in the second computer and install the drivers for it. Another is to use the original hard drive in that computer, put the second hard drive in as slave, and copy your backups from the second hard drive to the first, assuming you have room to install the same programs and the data.

Another possibility is to find out what caused the original computer to quit - could be a failing power supply or video card. (Or even a bad CD-Rom)

thank you for your help, to let you know I did get your advice and the outcome... my son in the mean time changed powerpaks to see if that was the problem and blew the motherboard on the the good computer. It was the original problem with the first. so two computers are gone. I brought a new hp yesterday and have a tech service person installing the programs.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:09 PM

Ouch. So sorry for your troubles. Bad power supplies ruin a lot of equipment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users