Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can my laptop be infected through my Nexus 7 tablet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

Both the laptop and the tablet are only used on the same Frontier router -- by wire for the laptop and WiFi for the tablet.  The Windows firewall on the laptop is always on.  The laptop and the tablet have never been connected by USB.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

Short answer to that is YES. If I explain 'HOW' it's infringed forum rules I think?

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:03 AM

Short answer to that is YES. If I explain 'HOW' it's infringed forum rules I think?

Actually, if you check, you may find that there can be no transfer of infection, unless programs or other "direct access" has been made between the 2 systems,

I operate several computers via the same Modem / Router, one is direct wired and one wifi and have never had an infection spread between 2 units.

Each computer has its own Antivirus and Firewall to stop the spread of infections (Win7 Firewall is a In and Out Firewall), and the Antivirus and Antimalware programs prevent the intrusion of new infections -

Please, correct me if I am wrong, but no infection has spread over these individual computers -

Thank You -

#4 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

Actually, if you check, you may find that there can be no transfer of infection, unless programs or other "direct access" has been made between the 2 systems,
I operate several computers via the same Modem / Router, one is direct wired and one wifi and have never had an infection spread between 2 units.

Each computer has its own Antivirus and Firewall to stop the spread of infections (Win7 Firewall is a In and Out Firewall), and the Antivirus and Antimalware programs prevent the intrusion of new infections -

Please, correct me if I am wrong, but no infection has spread over these individual computers -

Thank You -

I'm sure a proof-of-concept would enlighten you, but I think the forum moderators would band me.

If home routers can be compromised by client-side attack using entirely of HTML and JavaScript code running in a web browser.

Popular home routers contain critical security vulnerabilities. http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/041813-popular-home-routers-contain-critical-268847.html

Exploiting SOHO Routers. http://securityevaluators.com//content/case-studies/routers/soho_router_hacks.jsp
We considered client-side attacks to be in scope, so long as they consist entirely of HTML and JavaScript code running in a web browser.

Forty percent missed by leading programs. Antivirus software fails to spot new malware, Palo Alto finds. http://news.techworld.com/security/3437242/antivirus-software-fails-spot-new-malware-palo-alto-finds/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

I'm sure a proof-of-concept would enlighten you, but I think the forum moderators would band me.

Most people asking such questions here are not asking about PoC. They want to know about malware in the wild that could do this for their particular case.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users