Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSD 0x0000007b after driver update, BSD in safemode.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Phatfasm

Phatfasm

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

This is my first time posting so I hope I am posting in the right section and the right way.

Ok this one has never happened to me before. Updating and tuning up a clients machine. (I did run combofix and JRT.  and found a few small malware, nothing serious)

I did a few driver updates from windows update I believe one was a keyboard and a Realtek Ethernet driver.

I did a driver update from AMD's website for a Radeon discrete graphics card as well.

Upon rebooting the machine I get a bluescreen around the time the starting Win 7 graphics cycle from dots into a flower as they come together I get the BSD stop 0x0000007b. (pointing to a driver issue)

1. I have tried Safe Mode, just BSDs. 

2. Last known config does not work.

3. Win 7 startup repair tries but says it cannot repair. 

4. Tried system restore but the only system restore is about 1yr old (don't want to go there) 

4. Ran memory test no issues

5. Pulled Discrete graphics and ran only Onboard video no change. 

6. Disabled Ethernet, audio in Bios no change. 

This is a home built system with Asus motherboard m3a78 pro running Windows 7. 

Is there a way to disable drivers in win 7 recovery console, to get me back in? or some other techno sorcery to get me backup?

Thank you kindly for any help! 

Here is my FRST LOG:

Mod Edit:  Removed FRST log, not allowed/used in this forum.  Certain malware tools are used at BC only in the Malware Removal Logs forum.  See

No DDS, HijackThis, or ComboFix logs - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum-167/announcement-45-no-dds-hijackthis-or-combofix-logs-should-be-posted-in-this-forum/ - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 11 May 2013 - 10:26 AM.
Removed FRST data - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

Hi

Are you a PC tech ?. Do you aware that running Combofix without the supervision of a trained malware helper may damage the OS ?

BSOD 0x07B is usually happens when the boot device became inaccessible. Typical causes are a corrupted file system, failing HDD  or a Change in the SATA operation mode. In rare cases a boot sector virus may also cause this error.Here is the technical explanation of this error.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785339%28WS.10%29.aspx#BKMK_9

Please do the following steps one by one.

1 ) Change the SATA cables.

2 ) Check if the default SATA operation mode in BIOS got changed. In some systems AHCI is the default and in others IDE emulation mode is the default. Enter in to BIOS and change the mode to other (AHCI to IDE or the opposite). If it didn't helps, don't forget to switch the mode to the default one.

3 ) Boot from the Win 7 DVD and open a repair command prompt and run a check disk  in C drive. Your C drive might be mounted in a different drive letter in the repair prompt. This is due to the first 100 MB hidden partition. Usually it is mounted as D. If you are unsure use DIR command and look for folders "Windows" and "Users". Assuming it is the letter D, you should enter CHKDSK D: /R"

4 ) if the above steps didn't solved the issue, we should test the health of the HDD using manufacturer's diagnostics. Rarely some boot sector viruses also cause this issue but verifying the HDD condition is the first thing to do. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 10 May 2013 - 11:49 PM.

#3 Phatfasm

Phatfasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:10 AM

Hi

Are you a PC tech Yes?. Do you aware that running Combofix without the supervision of a trained malware helper may damage the OS ? Yes, I do understand the risks.

BSOD 0x07B is usually happens when the boot device became inaccessible. Typical causes are a corrupted file system, failing HDD  or a Change in the SATA operation mode. In rare cases a boot sector virus may also cause this error.Here is the technical explanation of this error.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785339%28WS.10%29.aspx#BKMK_9

Thank you for the link. 

Please do the following steps one by one.

1 ) Change the SATA cables.
No effect. 

2 ) Check if the default SATA operation mode in BIOS got changed. In some systems AHCI is the default and in others IDE emulation mode is the default. Enter in to BIOS and change the mode to other (AHCI to IDE or the opposite). If it didn't helps, don't forget to switch the mode to the default one.

No effect. 

3 ) Boot from the Win 7 DVD and open a repair command prompt and run a check disk  in C drive. Your C drive might be mounted in a different drive letter in the repair prompt. This is due to the first 100 MB hidden partition. Usually it is mounted as D. If you are unsure use DIR command and look for folders "Windows" and "Users". Assuming it is the letter D, you should enter CHKDSK D: /R"

Forgot to mention that I have done this several times with no effect on BSD. 

4 ) if the above steps didn't solved the issue, we should test the health of the HDD using manufacturer's diagnostics. Rarely some boot sector viruses also cause this issue but verifying the HDD condition is the first thing to do. 
I am running a full diagnostic now on the drive. I will update you as soon as it is finished. 

Thanks for the fast reply. 

#4 Phatfasm

Phatfasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:40 AM

Diagnostic came back clean

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:51 AM

Hi

Are you absolutely sure that  Combofix didn't delete any Windows driver or service ?

Is the Windows update includes any chipset driver update ?. I suspect a mismatched SATA controller driver than a malware issue. Since there are no recent restore points, roll back to old driver is  out of question. If your SATA setting is currently set to IDE emulation mode there is away. We can set it to AHCI and force Windows to use the default driver. It will solve the issue if it is a driver problem.

Waiting for your reply.   

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 11 May 2013 - 02:52 AM.

#6 Phatfasm

Phatfasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

From my memory of the log combofix only found basic malware like conduit etc I didn't see any deletes for driver files in the windows directories. I can post the combofix log is you want. 

Looks like I was changing the wrong drive from IDE and AHCI in bios,

FIX: went into BIOS and changed the correct boot drive from AHCI to IDE and the darn thing booted! 

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

Hi

Glad to hear that you are able to solve it.  

#8 Phatfasm

Phatfasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

I'm curious , if this BSD happens on a laptop without the option to choose IDE or AHCI in BIOS is there another fix to replace or tell windows to use a default driver? Like resetting the drivers to default or something? 

My initial thought are that perhaps pulling the drive and putting it in a USB enclosure and attempting to point to it as the boot device to get into windows and reinstall the drivers? Or a method to remove drivers files or something like a sysprep? I know acronis has a plus version that can clone to dissimilar hardware and that might potentially reset the hardware drivers.

*HamluisSorry about posting FRST log here, didn't see that rule in the forum rules on my first glance..  

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

Hi

In a Laptop with no options to change SATA mode, the major reason for STOP 0x07B will be either a corrupted file system or a faulty HDD. 

In AHCI mode and IDE mode, Win 7 uses different drivers. If you changed the IDE mode to AHCI either accidentally (like your case ) or intentionally ( to gain advantages of AHCI mode) , you can edit the Windows registry and set the default Microsoft AHCI driver to load. More details on how to do this can be read below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

In a desktop if you switch the motherboard, you will get this BSOD. As you know "Acronis Universal Restore" can clone the OS to the new system and automatically adjust the storage drivers and HAL setting to match to the new hardware. But my favorite tool is Paragon's "P2P adjust OS utility" (Now called "Paragon Adaptive Restore"). This tool is a part of "Paragon Hard disk manager suit". Unlike Acronis we don't need to clone the OS. Just plug the HDD to new System and boot from "Paragon WinPE" disc. Now launch the "P2P" tool and it will automatically correct the offline OS to fit to the new hardware. 

Here are the 2 Paragon products which have "P2P Adjust tool".

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-professional/

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hdm-personal/features.html

As a PC tech, you should consider getting one of those.

#10 Phatfasm

Phatfasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

Ok great info on the registry edit. 

I've heard of paragon in the past but I didn't know it had those features and was usefull. I didn't even know it was still being update. I will definitely be investing in this software.

Thanks again. 

p.s the funny thing about the BSD is I didn't change anything in BIOS so the actual cause of the BSD is unknown that this point. You suggested that Combofix might have deleted a system file or driver?

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

Hi

Sometimes BIOS settings may get changed themselves if CMOS battery is weak. Replace the battery and don't forgot to change the SATA option. Since it is a Win 7 machine, it should be installed in the AHCI mode in first place. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users