Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What vulnerability does the Internet Security 2013 rogue use?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rydyn

Rydyn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

Hi, all.

I've now gotten the Internet Security 2013 virus twice.  It was MrSEC.com both times, by the way, and even if I try to avoid the site, a lot of reputable sports sites link there.  The last one was on a link off the USA Today sports home page!

I have my home computer locked down with Spyware Blaster and scan with Malware Bytes and I know I've been to MrSEC.com accidently since they've been infected without any problem.  So something that I have configured at home (probably by Spyware Blaster) blocks it.

The problem I have is that my company doesn't give me admin rights or let me install software so I can't run Spyware Blaster on my work computer.  Yes, coming in through a basic user account, the Trojan rogue can break things, but the internet settings are locked such that I can't get in to block it.

I was wondering if anyone knew what setting Spyware Blaster changes to block it because I could temporarily request an "admin login" that would let me change them but not install a SW package.

Thanks,

---------------

Now, before you lock the thread because you misread it thinking that I'm asking for help getting around my company's security, I'm not.  The company WILL let me have temporary admin rights to make settings changes.  They will NOT let me install an unvalidated application.  So what I'm asking is" What is the setting that Spyware Blaster is using to block Internet Security 2013?" so that I can ask for the admin rights and make the change manually.

Edited by Rydyn, 10 May 2013 - 08:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

What is the setting that Spyware Blaster is using to block Internet Security 2013

These settings are developed by the program makers and as such are not usually allowed for us to access -

Look it as "Will your Company / Manager share all of the personal company records and dealings with ME" ?? Same thing exactly.

Do you wish for help to try and remove this infection, or are you just asking for information on Spyware Blaster program ??

We do not have specific inside information on most Antimalware programs, and it is your and your company's responsibility to install a Decent Antivirus and Decent matching Antimalware programs.
Will your Manager / Company allow you to use this program fully on this computer ? If not we can not help you !

If you are asking for the company, then why are you asking and not installing the program ??

First you must NEVER access MrSEC.com if you know the site is infected - Any program will not stop you from using a keyboard --
Adding the site to your Hosts file may prevent you from accessing the site, but nothing is 100%.

Please fully read Antivirus, Antimalware, And Antispyware Resources and also post back with ALL of the security programs that are installed on the problem computer
Now read How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected and this may help.

I was wondering if anyone knew what setting Spyware Blaster changes to block it because I could temporarily request an "admin login" that would let me change them but not install a SW package.

This is not for us to do. Spyware Blaster is a Software Program - If you wish to ask for a Reverse Engineering of the program, then you must contact the makers of the program, as we can only give advice and assist people towards programs, and tell them what to use the Full program for, and a general idea of what it will do -

You will find that almost all Software Programs are just that ~ Programs ~ If you and your company will not use the programs as supplied then we can not, and will not help you to install a "partial" program, as it is non-existant -

Do you have the Malwarebytes program installed, because you or your company can not partially Reverse Engineer this, and most Security Programs are the same -

Please post back if you wish to Install Spyware Blaster "Program" fully and we will help, but not if you want what we do not have -

Thank You, if you did bother to Fully read and Try to understand this -

#3 Rydyn

Rydyn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

Wow.  You guys are kind of rude here. 

I was just wondering if there was a simple answer like "disable Java" or something.  You spend so much time fixing this stupid virus I just thought you might have some clue how it got in to do what it does.

I'll leave.  Bye.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:59 AM

Sorry if you took offense to the reply, but I will offer a quick reason for it

The processes used to remove any infection, with any Antimalware program, are kept a very tight secret.

If this was not followed then the program would be useless against the Malware that it removes. I used the example of your company telling me their secrets as an example of what I would be able to do if I had all the inside information.

From Wiki History about 3 years ago -
In 1985, there were 11 known computer viruses. Today, there are more than 70,000 and new threats are detected every day. 

The secrets of any program must be kept away from all Malware writers so they are not able to break the coding of any of the programs .............

This reply was not personal in any way, so I left you links on ways to protect your system in the hope that you may read some. I felt this was the best way to show you the many other programs (including some from M/soft) that can help your situation.

I did ask if you would let me know of your Antivirus and Antimalware setup so that we could help reinforce these (but you chose not to reply).

We are always willing to help you with a safer setup, but it is your free choice not to accept this free offer.

Thank You -

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

Rydyn, when I am wrong I admit it. You are correct that I misread/misinterpreted your other post. My brain cells took a temporary leave of absence (which is no excuse but it is what it is).

I apologize for that. I have removed my reply from that post. It will remain locked since you posted this topic.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

And please re-read my post that starts with -

" Sorry if you took offense to the reply, but I will offer a quick reason for it "

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users