Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer disc reader error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thestevenator1003

thestevenator1003

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

I have found that my games that were downloaded to the computer were "corrupt" and unplayable, so I uninstalled them and now my computer won't read CD games, just DVDs. I am figuring it may be the disc reader? Or is this something that could be a virus type of situation or a setting on my computer I may have flipped? Maybe a setting I have selected that I can unselect so my computer reads games or maybe a program I have is blocking my computer from reading the discs?

Audio CDs work, which is my one reservation about it being the reader. Also the fact that the same disc slot reads DVDs and games/CDs.

For example, I have tried discs of several games I previously installed and played with on this machine, as recently as a month ago. I have had the computer and Windows 7 for over 2 years. Just wondering if this is something anyone has heard of before, or if I need to buy a new disc reader or computer.

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

Try running the "Fixit" on this Microsoft page: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 thestevenator1003

thestevenator1003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

Turns out the disc reader is reading them but I must have a weird default setting selected somewhere because to play a game I have to click it on the Drive from 'COMPUTER' and then click 'RUN' or whatever that game's actual application is, as opposed to it just reading the disc and opening the game.

Thank you!

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

That would most likely have something to do with your Autoplay settings.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-vista/change-autoplay-settings

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users