Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows is unresponsive and computer is VERY loud.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

Recently the receptionist's computer has become very slow. Receptionist reports random sounds coming from the computer and adds popping up randomly. I checked her computer thoroughly and could not find any malware after running avast and then later malware bytes. I cleaned up the registry, deleted some old programs, compressed old unused files, and disabled a few other uneccesary programs from running in the background.

However it did nothing and the computer pretty much goes into unresponvie mode after running something like malware bytes or excel.

Had to do it while in safe mode. Otherwise malware bytes could not run and you could not even bring up the task manager to kill processes or close unresponsive programs. It seems to get progressively worse with time. First it is just slow, then some programs become unresponsive, then any activity on the desktop becomes impossibe and no longer accepts any keyboard commands except for moving around the mouse icon which works normally without issue.

I could not find any of the reported random adds.

However I did notice that periodically the computer tower would become very loud. It also seems to shake slightly. I think it might be the fan and maybe something else but it louder than any fan speed I have ever heard. It is probably going at maximum possible output. It might have also been damaged from doing this which might be why it sounds so loud. I do not know for sure though. I have a program on my home computer that lets me control fan speed and even if all fans are running on max while the HDD is spinning and the DVD drive is spinning the combined sound would not match this recpetionists computer.

My current theory is that the CPU keeps overheating which is causing the fan to go nuts.

Also this sound does not appear to have any effect on how the computer performs in safe mode. In normal mode the computer tends to go into the sequence of unresponsiveness I described earlier.

The PC has over 3 Ghz processing speed but just under 900 MB RAM. I have not been able to get too much into it yet ebcause the receptionist has to use it all the time.

Edited by hamluis, 18 May 2013 - 06:37 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:58 AM

Sounds to me like you need to take it home at the end of the day and give it a good cleaning paying special attnetion to the heatsink  and then remove the heatsink and then replace the thermal compound there are a plethora of videos on youtube explaining replacing thermal paste in your case I think that this is the issue or at least 70% of it.  

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

As suggested, this could be a case of overheating.  In order to see what the temperatures are please download SIW.

When you open the program you will notice a menu on the left like the one seen in the image below.  Scroll down to the hardware section and click on Sensors.  These screen will look similar to the image below.

siwsensors1_zps28cdd989.png

Please use the Snipping Tool to copy the image, you can find this tool in Accessories under All Programs.   After you have the image you will want to go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name and save it.  

You can post this picture in your next post.  Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the Snipping Tool, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png

Instructions for using the Snipping Tool

Use the Snipping Tool to copy an image, you can find this tool in Accessories under All Programs.  To use this have the image you want to copy on the desktop, click on Snipping Tool.  A small white cross (+) will appear on the screen, move this to the lower left corner of the image you want to copy, press and hold the mouse and slowly move it to the right and upwards.  You will see a red rectangle form around the image, when you have the image isolated that you want, release the mouse.  After you have the image you will go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name then click on Save.

When you do clean the inside of the case you should use canned air to blow it out.  Before you touch anything inside the case you should touch the metal of it to discharge any static electricity, a discharge can kill board components.  The heatsink and fan on the CPU is the most important location to clean.  You can place a pencil through the blade of the fan to keep it from spinning while you blow out the dust from the fan and heatsink.

While you have the case open listen to see if you can locate the source of the noise your secretary was referring to.  Ask them if they can describe the sound, is it a whine, a clicking noise, etc.

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Edited by dc3, 11 May 2013 - 11:31 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

Ok Windows XP does not have snip so I just used paint. Had a can of air but it ran out half way while blowing the dust out. There was some crap in there though. So far no noise has been made while I did all these things. Computer however is acting very slow. Not unbearably slow but executing setup installation or clicking on any executable takes several seconds to activate. Opening Chrome took about a minute.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/hzx1UmWmG7ufCtXrHkFgBQW

I will post this first then try to open some more intensive program to see if the problem persists. Then I will try and swap out the HDD and put it in a spare PC. We have about a dozen spare ones.

To my incredible dismay somebody got rid of the tag that I wrote down on one of them that said DO NOT USE THIS MACHINE due to a faulty RAM slot.

Edit: Ok the sound is definitely coming from the fans going full blast. Both of them. The heat sink is pretty filthy and I ran out of air. Temperature went up to 70 C when I ran Spy Bot S&D.

Edited by AzureDrag0n1, 15 May 2013 - 07:16 PM.

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

Finish the cleaning and then get back to us with the result. 

#6 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

You could also try making custom made "Dust Filters" for it. I have done that on three of my machines. Works good and they stay clean.

#7 AzureDrag0n1

AzureDrag0n1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

Ok they did not want me to continue maintenance of the old computer but after opening it up it had some very thick clumps of dust embedded inside so overheating might be the cause. They where the type of dust clumps you can not blow out. You basically need some sort of file or a knife to dig them out. It was all over the CPU heat sink.

I simply replaced the computer with a new one and added the old HDD. Works better now than when it was new since I got rid of so much bloatware, disabled a bunch of services that where not being used, cleaned up the registry, uninstalled unused programs, disabled a bunch of non essential automatic update services, added another stick of RAM, reorganized the desktop so it is not so cluttered with icons, and a few other minor items.

Edited by AzureDrag0n1, 17 May 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#8 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

Home Made "Dust Filters" :

First The retainer for the front chassis fan filter. -  (90 mm Blue Led Thermaltake Smart case fan,
with both automatic speed control via temperature detection, and user adjustable speed control.

01fcdfsr.jpg

Then the "retainer" with the filter installed. Frame is two layers of 60 thou plastic, with a slightly stretched piece
of Ladies pantyhose glued between said layers.

02wfi.jpg

Then the "Processor Duct" filter.

03pdf1.jpg

Another picture of same, from the other end to better show the filter.

04pdf2.jpg

Then finally the filter for the 120 mm Blue Led Thermaltake smart case fan with both automatic temperature
controlled speed control; and user adjustable speed control.

05120smff.jpg

The Processor Fan, and those two chassis fans are the only inward blowing fans the machine has.
Outward blowing fans don't need dust filters, and in terms of "Outward Blowing Fans" the machine has the
powersupply fan, another 90 mm Blue Led Thermaltake smart chassis fan, same as other one, and
4 x Socket 7 fans Associated with HDD cooling setups that blow air OUT of the machine.

Should mention that I use a set of "Staedler Mars" dividers to scribe the sheets of plastic till the holes are cut right through.

Edited by JHMcG, 17 May 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#9 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

Might also mention that once the two plastic frames are made for a "Dust Filter", I put one of them on top of a flat piece of styrofoam, then lay the piece of ladies nylon on top of it, then use straight pins to pin the nylon down to the styrofoam, adjusting the stretching of the nylon till it is just right; and held in position with as many pins as it takes to get it just right. Once that is done, then I apply either crazy glue or epoxy to the nylon over the frame, then put the other frame on top, get it lined up just right, and press down on it, putting something on top to hold it down till the glue drys. Finally, I unpin the nylon from the styrofoam, then trim off the excess nylon, and "Voila", - I have a "Dust Filter".  

#10 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

Bump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users