Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

microsoft.net framework 3.5

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sparkyrhett

sparkyrhett

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

I am tryiny to install microsoft.net framework 3.5 and i continue to receive "encounter problem" the machine currantly has  framework 1.1. can i jump to 3.5 or do i have to find 2.0, then go to 3.5. thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

...download this & try again - you should not have any trouble installing anything else form MS...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8483

...also, go back to MS Update & run it & reboot, repeat as necessary until it reports no more updates available - you'll probably encounter a bunch more  .net framework stuff plus other stuff...

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Edited by Dolby, 10 May 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#3 sparkyrhett

sparkyrhett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

which one do i choose, it gives me several opts

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

Each Framework is for a specific application, so if you aren't using an application which is related to a Framework you don't need it.

As for which updates to choose, you can do a search for them so you will know what they are and if you need them.  Or you can post them here where I'm sure someone will be willing to help you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

...xp home is the one that says "x86" - xp pro "x64"

.NET Framework is a security related protocol, so I have all just to be on the safe side - in another thought, XP does not require ver. 4, but I have a "SeaTools" hard drive diagnostic program from Seagate, that requires it, so I have ver. 4 "redistributable" - that is why MS has 2 versions of NF4 - a "runtime" (for the OS's that require it), & a "redistributable" (for the ones that do not). If you ever decide to DL the ver. 4, I think it automatically presents you /w/ the proper one depending which OS you have...

Edited by Dolby, 10 May 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

...xp home is the one that says "x86" - xp pro "x64"

Please explain what this pertains to.

What is the version of your copy of XP, Home, Pro, etc., is it the 32-bit or 64-bit?

The x86 indicates that it is for the 32-bit version, x64 is for the 64-bit version.

Can you set this computer to automatically update?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 sparkyrhett

sparkyrhett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

dowlloaded Dolby suggestions,,  tried to install 3.5 again, still get "encounter problem" no new updates from windows

#8 sparkyrhett

sparkyrhett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

XP Home 32 bit, yes i can set to automatic

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

Do you have SP3 installed?

#10 sparkyrhett

sparkyrhett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

SP3 is installed

#11 sparkyrhett

sparkyrhett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

sp3 is installed

#12 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

...READ THESE FIRST before doing anything...

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx - net framework cleanup tool

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx - net framework setup verification tool

#13 sparkyrhett

sparkyrhett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

I don't quite understand the link  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/28/8904493.aspx   Is it refering to the entire windows system or just the "net framework"

#14 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

...those articles are referring basically to NF - in my opinion I think you may have corruption /w/ your NF 1.1 & could try to reinstall that & then try to move on. ..

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=26

also if you run into problems (errors - faiures), & you see a "MS Knowledge Base Article", write down the "KB" number for future reference, & download & do what it says - if that fails, write down that "KB" number ,& download & do what that says etc.- when you have succeess & finally start getting somewhere, start moving back forward /w/ the KB's & it should go smooth (it did for mr a while back...good luck...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users