Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop frequent crash

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Prana

Prana

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:03 AM

Hi 

I had used your advice for removing the PrivitizeVPN malware a few months ago,

since then, especially in recent weeks, my laptop started to work very slow, the browser crashes often. I have to restart 4 to 5 times a day. It also reboots slowly. It works fine for an hour or so and then crashes or freezes.

My C drive used to show 85 GIG full, but when I added up the folders inside, It was barely 30 gig, then I started to uninstall all software from drive C. the free space remained the same, until I uninstalled Skype, then it showed only 50 gig full, it means skype seemingly filled 30 gig! 

but still, the numbers don't add up and I cannot find more than 30 gig file in this drive. I was thinking if this has something to do with it.

I have used Zonealarm and Eset latest scan, nothing wrong reported to me.

I'd appreciate if you can help me with this

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

System restore points, paging file size, hiberfil.sys and leftover installer junk will probably account for all that is missing.

#3 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

I agree with anyreply, the system restore can take up to 15% of your drives space, and if you're running Vista or a later version of Windows, you're looking at a few gig just for the OS, as well, up to 6 GB, a believe. Also keep in mind that even though your HDD says it's 160 GB, it may in reality be closer to something like 149.5GB.  After that, there's always temp files, prefetch, and other things.  I'd say there's nothing sinister going on.  As for why it see,s slow, we'd need more information, I think.

"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users