Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UnderPowered PSU

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

I am wondering if anyone can tell me some of the symptoms of an system that may have too small of a PSU.

Thank you,

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:34 AM

It would be much easier if you give us your specs (including your PSU).

#3 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

I am wondering if anyone can tell me some of the symptoms of an system that may have too small of a PSU.

Thank you,

Scott

The list of symtoms are endless; however, the most probable show as slow start-ups, loops of reboots (or not booting at all), degraded performance, application crashes, and general instability.

#4 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

It would be much easier if you give us your specs (including your PSU).

At this time I can only give generals, it is a friend's PC he bought from Dell.  The PSU is 385watts from Dell, not sure on Mobo, but has an i7 2600 (not sure which one), 6gb ram brand unknown at this time., DVD burner, one 750gb sata hdd, Radeon HD 6450 1gb PCIe vid card, Win7Pro64 bit. He has two monitors running from the Radeon card, 1 monitor running from the Onboard Intel graphics adapter, and another monitor running from a USB video adapter (brand/model unknown).  He is experiencing Application hangs with his BobCad-Cam v25 software, and Torchmate software and occasionally PhotoStage software (again no versions on the last two).  I will gather more info and send.  Also he has had several reboots (BSOD I think), and the Minidump files point to video drivers, (from both the Intel onboard and the Radeon 6450) but they are all up2date, and have been reinstalled to check for corruption.   Thanks for the assistance. 

Edited by snglnluvnit, 10 May 2013 - 07:41 AM.

#5 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:09 AM

I have purchased several Dells in the past and if his rig is "all stock" then the PSU should be adequate; however, Dell does not give you much "wiggle-room" for upgrades and such. So, if there were any upgrades that required a significant amount of additional power, then that could be an issue. However, since Dell intentionally manufactures and sells proprietary builds, it may be difficult to purchase an upgraded aftermarket power supply that will actually fit the Dell case. So, in summary, if a major upgrade was done, consider the PSU as a possible issue; however, if it remains a "Dell proprietary stock build", I would look elsewhere for the problem... and the best place to start (IMHO) is to check your Event Viewer logs for entries that are time-coincident with your failures. Good luck.

#6 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

I have checked the logs, and I have looked at the minidumps.  The only thing in the event logs is "Application Hang".  The minidumps point to video drivers for both the Radeon HD 6450 and the  Intel Onboard video adapter.  The BobCad-Cam program installs fine, but will enter the "unresponsive" state immediately upon opening.  If I let it stay hung the CPU temp climbs to 58 Celcius, and drops to idle temps as soon as I end the Hung process.  I agree that OEM's don't leave much wiggle room, as in using the PCIe vid card AND the onboard video adapters, AND another USB video adapter, plus I'm not sure if having 2 monitors on the 6450 card uses more wattage on the card???

#7 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

The power required to run an ATI 6450 is very minimal. In fact, I own one and the maximum required wattage is a meager 19 watts (without the fan version); however, running a second monitor might increase that a bit (don't know for sure). Anyway, Radeon's minimum requirement of 400 watts to run that card is a farce and that requirement is only there because they have no idea what else is drawing power so they play it safe with their 400 watt recommendation. So, with that said, if it is a stock Dell, running a 6450, then I think your power supply is adequate. Now, let's forget the power supply for a moment and focus on your issues. Right now, we only know what you have told us but I think the next step is to try and stabilize your PC and proceed from there. So, I would suggest you uninstall that BoBCad-Cam program, uninstall and physically remove the 6450, switch to onboard graphics, boot and check for stability. Let us know your plans.

Edited by anyrepli, 10 May 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#8 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

BobCad-Cam has already been uninstalled.  Next I plan on disabling the other two video adapters (onboard and the USB), and using just one monitor on the Radeon instead of two.  Reinstall Bobcad and if that does not remedy the BobCad-Cam issue, then I would consider uninstalling the Radeon or replace with a known good card of like size.  The instability is when attempting to run the 3 programs---PhotoStage-Torchmate-BobCad-Cam V25...individually not all at once.

Edited by snglnluvnit, 10 May 2013 - 09:10 PM.

#9 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users