Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have to different brands' RAMs... Is this right!!!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 nav2684

nav2684

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:09 AM

Hi guys,

I have Intel D845GVSR board, 2.4Ghz CPU and 1.50gb of RAM. From starting I had 512MB of DDRSD RAM (simtronics) installed but recently I installed a 1gb DDRSD RAM (kingston) along with the older one. After that my pc suddenly hangs or sometimes it automatically restarts. Is this due to two different companies RAMs which is simtronics and kingston? Plz help me out and thanx....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

Hi guys,

Is this due to two different companies RAMs?

It is possible; are the RAM modules compatible? I am confident that the speeds differ, but usually the speed will just "dumb-down" to the slowest module if the RAM is compatible.

Remove the 512MB stick and see how the machine runs.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

Anytime you run two different sticks of RAM (unmatched pair), you takes your chances.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

Your motherboard memory requirements are here:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845gvsr/sb/CS-027113.htm

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

Anytime you run two different sticks of RAM (unmatched pair), you takes your chances.

I totally agree, my Dell did not like two different brand name memory sticks even though they had the same size and type. 

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

I totally agree, my Dell did not like two different brand name memory sticks even though they had the same size and type. 

Bruce.

In contrast, I had several Dells where I used different memory modules (in a dual channel arrangement) and they all ran fine. A specific example would be my Dimension 8400 using 2x1GB Crucial (533MHz) modules and a 2x512KB (400Mhz) modules made by Samsung. Of course, all RAM was down-clocked to the lowest speed but I could live with that. Anyway, the total was 3GBs installed and it ran dual channel just fine. Now, I'm not saying that using different modules will not ever result in a problem; however, I am saying that it will not always end up as a problem. Hopefully, the OP will respond with some additional information regarding his testing of one stick at a time and also provide the specs for each memory module.

Note: Updated to change my description of the memory modules

Edited by anyrepli, 10 May 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

@ anyrepli I have the Dell XPS 400 as soon as I add the second stick to the second white slot numbered 3 my system cycles briefly and the  BIOS beeps continuously, not even offering a chance to boot into the BIOS to make any changes. Once that stick is removed the system boots fine. Now if I put that stick in slot 2, the system boots but the RAM does not show in windows, even though the BIOS does see it there. The configuration is slots 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 (eg: White, black, white, black slots)

Oh, one is 2GB the other is 1GB, with either one or the other installed the system boots fine, both in non-boot situation.

Sorry for the edit.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 May 2013 - 08:02 PM.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

@ anyrepli I have the Dell XPS 400 as soon as I add the second stick to the second white slot numbered 3 my system cycles briefly and the  BIOS beeps continuously, not even offering a chance to boot into the BIOS to make any changes. Once that stick is removed the system boots fine. Now if I put that stick in slot 2, the system boots but the RAM does not show in windows, even though the BIOS does see it there. The configuration is slots 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 (eg: White, black, white, black slots)

Oh, one is 2GB the other is 1GB, with either one or the other installed the system boots fine, both in non-boot situation.

Sorry for the edit.

Bruce.

Ok, thanks for the specifics in the follow-up. So, mine works and yours does not. Now, I am wondering if the OP followed any advice with regards to testing one stick at a time and has any intentions of providing the specs for his mismatched RAM.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

Please be respectful, I understand it appears I have taken over the thread with my issues, but it does happen that mismatched RAM can cause issues. As I do understand that you are trying to stress that your situation has worked out flawlessly, some situations do not always work out that way and that is the point of the post I made.

I do appreciate your help and because I have spoken to you on my own behalf here, I am sure a Moderator will not intervene here, I will respect you and allow you to help the OP in question sorry if I upset you with my interaction while you were most likely going to help resolve this issue.

In other words I am okay with butting out and allowing you to help nav2684 as I am sure you are very capable at doing this.

No offense taken and thanks for being a part of the team.

Bruce.

Edit: edited changed name Bludgard to nav2684.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 11 May 2013 - 04:40 PM.

#10 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

MrBruce1959,

I am flat-out stunned at your last response. Where do you get that I was ever disrespectful? And, in each of my responses, I always acknowledged that some may work and some may not; however, it was you who first jumped in and suggested that your Dell did the same thing (as the Ops) and I only chimed in afterwards to give an opposite opinion because your assumptions (if taken by the OP as gospel) might have ended the troubleshooting right there... and it may have, in fact, done that because the OP has never responded back yet. Also, I'm surprised with your credentials, that you didn't take a more logical approach with your first post. Moreover, your use of the word "flawless" is extreme and was totally unnecessary. Now, if you go back and read through each response, you'll notice that each of my responses is intended to get the trouble-shooting back on track. And finally, who are you to make any assumption that a moderator would intervene and penalize me for my responses? In reality, I think someone should talk to you about your previous response that provoked me into this one to defend myself. In summary, I really took offense to all of your implications and, BTW, I'm really glad that YOU ARE OK with me helping out. FYI, I last worked as an IBM Tier III Network Support Engineer and also spent 35 years in the business as well. You really left a sarcastic post and it got completely under my skin. You handle it from here please!

Edited by anyrepli, 10 May 2013 - 11:03 PM.

#11 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:29 PM

Sounds like an old friend. :gathering:

Until OP responds to any/all input; "Can't we all get along?"

Actual manufacturer specs on RAM would be nice as far as answering OPs question of, " Is this due to two different companies RAMs which is simtronics and kingston?"

Wont know the answer to that unless specs are reported. Each machine and configuration is unique; trouble-shooting from afar is janky at best. The mission is not a competition or death-match but the valiant effort to transform a Bleeping computer into a Blessed computer; no?

Cudos to you all! :notanangel:

#12 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:46 PM

Hi bludgard,

I've followed your posts and you always take a nice logical approach to trouble-shooting. Keep up the good work! On a different note, I have decided to permanently exit this forum and abandon all future participation.

Good luck to all!

anyrepli   

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

@ anyrepli I am sad to see you leave, I mistook what you said and responded incorrectly. If you read this please accept this as my public apology to you. I was wrong, not you. 

@ nav2684 we are all human and I made a misjudgment that cost you a helper. I want to apologize to you for that reason and the fact that your topic was taken off of its course by me. As a staff member of BC, my choices in this topic were not very good ones. The last thing I want is to see people leave this forum because of my choice of words. I am very saddened with the outcome. To you I offer a public apology for the lose of a very knowledgeable and capable helper.

Bruce.   

#14 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:48 PM

Awesome post MrBruce,

With staff like this around, hopefully all will keep posting the angst and the answer. I learn as much as the next post; so please all, KEEP POSTING and have a freakin' elevating time.

@ anyrepli: Thanks for the compliment/validation: Would love to see more post from you as well.... :busy:

#15 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,206 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

To get back to NAV2684's original point, I was always taught that RAM sticks :

MUST be the same size, example 2 x 1Gig, 4 x 512  Mb, etc.

SHOULD be from the same manufacturer. Different manufacturer's sticks may well work together, so long as they are the same size and type, but may not.

I will admit that I was never given a theoretical explanation of this, but it has always worked for me.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users