Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer will not load windows XP.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 flywelder

flywelder

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

My computer will not  start loading windows XP.  My computer was running XP pro version 2002 and is a 32 bit system.     I am very fond of it.  :)

It begins to  boot up but stops and goes to  the screen where it wants me to choose safe mode or normal start up.  I tried every  version of start up listed and the results are the same, I end up at looking at the list of start up choices with a count down timer also running.  What shall i do?

Edited by hamluis, 22 July 2013 - 03:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

Hi

Do you have a Windows XP installation CD ?. This type of symptoms can be happens when C drive got corrupted (Due to sudden power failure or bad sectors in the HDD surface). Our first step is to boot from the XP CD and run a check disk on the C drive. This will likely solve any file system damage.

Read this guide to know how to access "Recovery console" from XP CD. 

https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=5097

After opening recovery console enter the command "CHKDSK C: /R"

#3 flywelder

flywelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

Hello, and thank you for responding!  I was fearing my problem was so  big, that no one would !  so again thank you!

I'll be very happy to folow your instuctions.   but first, is there a way to access  this: CHKDSK  C:/R     besides from the XP  CD?

I am hoping there is  .....

reason I ask is:   While cleaning around the computer  when this happened  and looking to see if  there were cables and cords that came unplugged from the computer,    I layed the  papers for the computer and the XP CD on the bed next to the computer.  During discussions with my wife,  My wife unknowingly sat  on the bed and on the XP CD. !!  You can imageine the turmoil and the atmosphere here seconds afterwords!  ...it was an accident,  and she and I discussed all the  ' what should have  been dones' ...  any how, I attempted to glue to the disk.  the glue is holding, but the disk does not play, and is rejected.

What a mess,  i know..   :( :oopsign:  ..... help please. 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

Try this.

Download NTBR_CD.exe and create a bootable CD.

* Save the file to your Desktop and double-click it. This will create a folder named NTBR_CD.
    * Open the folder and locate BurnItCD. Launch it by double-clicking it.
    * When BurnCDCC opens, click Start - the CD tray will open.
    * Insert blank CD and click OK.
    * The tray will close, burn the image then eject the disk.

Run chkdsk.

* Boot the affected computer with the new CD.  
      (You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.)    
    * Once presented with the boot screen please hit <ENTER> to boot from CD.
    * After a warning screen there is a keyboard language options screen - press <ENTER> to leave it at EN-US.
      You should now be at the Tool options screen.
    * Type 5 and press <ENTER> to go to a command prompt.
      At the command prompt type the following bolded command then press <ENTER>

tools\ntfs4dos\chkdsk

You will be prompted (in German) to press Enter.
    * Press <ENTER> to start the check disk utility.
      Check Disk will check all attached drives and attempt to correct any errors.
      Please make a note of any errors found or corrections made.
    * When it completes type "menu" and press <ENTER> to return to the tools menu.
    * Type 6 and press <ENTER> to quit, then Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

Allow the computer to attempt booting normally and let me know the outcome.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

Hi

Besides the steps dc3 posted, there is another ways to do this.

1 ) Borrow a Win XP professional CD (retail ) from a friend. If you have Win XP Pro installed on your system, you can even make a copy of the CD for future use. It is perfectly legal as long you are using the original CD key you purchased.

2 ) You can make a "recovery console" CD by running a small utility. This utility will download the necessary files from "Microsoft" site and build an ISO for you. For instructions read this guide.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=242982

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 10 May 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#6 flywelder

flywelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

Hi every one,  and thank you to each of you  . Great ideas all of them!

So  now with mother's day   and  a severe thunderstorm   behind me,  here is a progress report:

I began to  start  each of your suggestions.  But was not able to complete any of them.  here is why.   I am unable to get the computer to start  up as far as it once was,   each time I started the computer  I would here this clicking sound coming from with in the computer.   so  out of both desperation and curiosity,  I removed  the side cover of the tower and peered inside for my first time.   it was then I determined the clicking sound  is coming from the hard drive, labeled  main © . it sounds to me to be spinning, but makes this continuous clicking sound and revving up and down sound. and nothing is appearing on my monitor.

Now here is something interesting, .. below this is an identical looking device labeled   Slave.   it must be a second drive.

My new questions to all of you is: 

1)  would this be a back up drive?

2) could it be  utilized as a replacement for the main ©?

3)  Does it have the start up info on it?

4)  is this good news? 

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hi

Sorry to say it but this is bad news !

Clicking sound from HDD means it is faulty. But you will be able to see the BIOS screen even if the HDD is dead. Disconnect both power and IDE cable of the bad HDD and check if you can see BIOS logo or "Boot failure" message.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 15 May 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#8 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

You need a new hard disk. Really, you need a new pc as Windows XP will not be supported from March of next year, so you'll be vulnerable to exploits, malware etc. It would be false economy to spend much money on an old machine like this.

#9 flywelder

flywelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

Hi  , I was pulled off of this job for a bit  and had to attend to car repairs and grand kids needs / issues.

SO I have read your  postings again. and mulled them over.

I have some new  questions for you.

1)  I found a CD  inside  a computer  here at the house, and  it is labeled  'Microsoft   virtual machine'    ...  is this a special CD   and will this help me at all?

2)  Are  not all the  bugs and holes and port   and all the other  issues with XP  fixed  by now?    ......So that  no more updates are  or will be needed?

3)  if Xp will no longer be supported, what will replace it?

4)  I can't  afford a brand new computer  this year, it is not in the budget.  What  then should I look for  as a replacement?  and with what operating system so that  Im not  using a OS   that is about to become  un- supported?

5)  how  can I get the  other hard drive I found inside the case to take over as the main drive?

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

Hi

If the second drive is a good one, you can install Windows to it. But the main issue is that you don't have a XP CD and CD key. 

Follow the below steps to make sure that HDD is fine.

1 ) Unplug the faulty drive. Only connect the second HDD

2 ) Enter in to the BIOS and check if the HDD is detecting in BIOS.

3 ) Download "Seagate Seatool for DOS" from http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

This an image file so you should burn it using "Burn image to CD" option. Refer this : http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201431en

4 ) Boot from the CD and run a "Long Test" . If the HDD is fine, Seatool will show a "PASSED" status.

5 ) If the HDD is good, you are ready to install OS. You should at least spend USD 50 $ for a licensed copy of XP. Keep in mind that, security updates for XP will end in 2014.

I suggest running a good and user friendly Linux distro. You can save money and at the same time more security than Windows. If you decide to purchase a XP license, here is a link for some genuine XP discs -

http://about.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=186/form_keyword=windows%2Bxp/rd=1/rd_type=P

#11 flywelder

flywelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

OK,  good info , thanks!   As i know very little about Linux other than  there are numerous versions available for individuals  of all different levels of abilities and skills, .... tell me please  what would be a  easy to use and user friendly,  and good Linux  distro?

Thanks

#12 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:27 PM

Hi

I recommend either Linux Mint or Zorin OS. Both are remastered versions of Ubuntu specially designed for Windows users. 

http://zorin-os.com/free.html

#13 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

Hi  , I was pulled off of this job for a bit  and had to attend to car repairs and grand kids needs / issues.

SO I have read your  postings again. and mulled them over.

I have some new  questions for you.

1)  I found a CD  inside  a computer  here at the house, and  it is labeled  'Microsoft   virtual machine'    ...  is this a special CD   and will this help me at all?

2)  Are  not all the  bugs and holes and port   and all the other  issues with XP  fixed  by now?    ......So that  no more updates are  or will be needed?

3)  if Xp will no longer be supported, what will replace it?

4)  I can't  afford a brand new computer  this year, it is not in the budget.  What  then should I look for  as a replacement?  and with what operating system so that  Im not  using a OS   that is about to become  un- supported?

5)  how  can I get the  other hard drive I found inside the case to take over as the main drive?

1) no, that disk is not an XP disk

2) New vulnerabilties are discovered regularly by an elite of highly skilled crackers. These are called zero day vulnerabilities. Many crackers sell the vulnerability on, and it either gets reported to Microsoft or is found in the wild or added to an "exploit kit", and then Microsoft patch it. What you avoid by updating Windows, are the millions of "script kiddies" who will attack your PC when these exploits are widely known, instead of known only to a select few individuals during the unknown phase.

3) XP came out in 2001, it was replaced by Vista in 2007, Vista was replaced by Windows 7 in 2009, and Windows 8 came out last year. Is once every 10 years too often a time period to replace a computer? I can understand Microsoft not wanting to spend resources patching a 12 year old OS.

4) You could try linux as mentioned, its free. However, you need to know what you are doing, or at least have someone to help you burn a linux  iso, build a pc and install linux onto it. A barebones PC should cost less than $300. You can probably buy a used Windows 7 PC tower for around $150.

5) If you take the malfunctioning drive out, the other one will be the main drive. You can install linux or another OS onto it.

Edited by Adam Pollard, 29 May 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#14 flywelder

flywelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

Thanks to each of you!    great information from all!

SO I have mulled it over and over, and I'm going  to  go the Zorin route.   because it appears to  be most like windows and thus I'll be able to ( use it)  with out a large  amount of re-learning of lingo  and steps.....I hope  at least.

SO  what will be my steps?

Download it to a folder on another computer or to a __________? 

Then some how install it on the new HDD.  ? maybe by using a flash drive or should I use a CD? or __________?

Then I suspect I'll have to reinstall all the old programs and  instructions for accessories that are attached to the computer now?

Any thing else? any  other steps?

#15 flywelder

flywelder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

a progress update for you and  an issue.

The new HDD is in. Windows XP with service pack 3 is in and updated.

Computer is up and running.

Virus protection is installed and  Malwarebytes is also.

Computer sees everything so far accept the scanner.   I have a HP scanjet 3970  flatbed scanner, that I used with this computer before the HDD failed.  I have attempted  to install the drivers for the scanner but it is not 'taking'.  There is still a ? mark symbol  next to scanner  in  device manager.

I do not have a CD with the drivers on it. as I purchased the scanner from Goodwill. I installed the drivers before  by downloading them.  I wish I could remember where I downloaded them from so that I could get the very same drivers from the same site as before.

What is wrong?

Could the drivers be  zipped?   I don't have a zip  / unzip program installed yet, (  was thinking windows did this automatically for me ?)

Could  what I downloaded be the wrong driver pkg?      can  some one provide a  good link to the drivers I need please...would be nice to have a photo retouching  program also.

When i do get drivers that work for the scanner,  can you provide instructions  for how to burn them to cd ?

so that ...in the future, should I need to go through this all over again Ill have the drivers on CD.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users