Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a way to Re-install W-Wordpad from C:\WINDOWS\inf.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

This Windows XP Pro wasn't actually a complete D/L, . . I am missing some software programs, one of them is Wordpad, . .

I found this file and right clicked, "wordpad.inf.", and clicked install but nothing happens, . . except an hour glass appears then disappears but there is no installation

Have any idea what the problem is. 

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

Hi

You can add the missing components including 'Wordpad' using 'Add-Remove Windows Components". 

Here is the Microsoft's official step by step instructions.

1. Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
  2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.
  3. Click Add/Remove Windows Components. The Windows Components Wizard starts.
  4. In the Components list, click to select the check box that is next to the component that you want to add. If the check box for a component is shaded, only some of its subcomponents are selected for installation. 

To view a list of the subcomponents, click Details. Click to select the check box next to the subcomponents that you want to add, and then click OK. If the Details button is unavailable, the component does not contain subcomponents.
  5. Click Next.
  6. If the Insert Disk dialog box appears, use one of the following methods:
    • Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then click OK.
    • Click OK to locate your Windows XP installation files. In the Files Needed dialog box, click Browse, locate your Windows XP installation files, and then click Open. For example, the installation files might be in the D:\I386 folder.
  7. In the Completing the Windows Components Wizard screen, click Finish.

#3 mrob

mrob

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

This might solve your problem:

http://inf-files.net/inf/W/WORDPAD.INF

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

None of the choice in the details of the Wizard show word pad ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:11 AM

Hi

Try uninstall and then reinstall the entire "Accessories" items.

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

Where are the new download files originating from ?

Maybe they do not exist on this system ?

Also I did not see it in the utilities before ?

Edited by Jove, 11 May 2013 - 07:25 AM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

Also, . .I found a Corel Word Perfect 8 Disc, I can find any reference info about whats on the disc, but I am finding everything else

know anything about it ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#8 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

Also, . .I found a Corel Word Perfect 8 Disc, I can find any reference info about whats on the disc, but I am finding everything else

know anything about it ?

Sorry I meant I can not find the information I need, at this time

all of my word pad documents only open with Notepad, and practically impossible to read.

So I would like to know if the word perfect will give me a program that will open the Word pads so they are again readable

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#9 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

WordPerfect will probably have no trouble opening your files, but you should go throught the steps in Anshad Edavana's post.  If you can't, is it because you do not have the XP CD?  you said, "This Windows XP Pro wasn't actually a complete D/L,"  does this mean you downloaded an ISO for Windows XP?  If so, from where?  You also say you are missing other applications...is reinstalling WIndows an option?  Can you get another valid copy of XP elsewhere?  A friend, perhaps?  

"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

If all the other excellent suggestions do not resolve your wordpad issues. There is one of several freeware replacement apps for wordpad. As previously noted you should follow through on the above directions first. If those fail and you need a replacement here is one suggestion: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Text-editors/Ultra-Pad.shtml

Never used it so I can't vouch for the quality. But the site is a well know download site.

If you're not happy with that. Google: "freeware wordpad relacement" without the quotes of course.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

I installed the Word perfect and am able to read the once Word Pad documents quite well, . .

To open them I need to use the Word Perfect document and open it using the File Tools,

however if I go to the once word Pad document and use open with, . . and I choose word perfect it notifies me that This is not a valid Win32 application ??? Is there a way to change that ?

Also when saving a converted or created Word Pefect Doc, . I am wondering If I were to send these as an attachment to someone, . . how would they open them ?

Edited by Jove, 14 May 2013 - 04:09 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#12 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

Well, there's always this...

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1023/how_to_open_edit_convert_wpd_word_perfect_file_windows/

...but what about WIndows intself?  My concern is that you have an unstable, possibly incomplete installation.  Were you able to complete the steps in  Anshad's reply? 

"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#13 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

WordPerfect will probably have no trouble opening your files, but you should go throught the steps in Anshad Edavana's post.  If you can't, is it because you do not have the XP CD?  you said, "This Windows XP Pro wasn't actually a complete D/L,"  does this mean you downloaded an ISO for Windows XP?  If so, from where?  You also say you are missing other applications...is reinstalling WIndows an option?  Can you get another valid copy of XP elsewhere?  A friend, perhaps?  

Yes I want to get my hands on a WXP install disc and will let you know when that happens, . . concerning what I said, . .

I used the DELL Windows XP Pro to install thinking I would get another 30 days out of it since I could not open the previous program, . . because it was expired, . . when I put in the disc I decided to click repair and it installed this program that I am using on this DELL Desk Top, . . Previously I was not able to get the numbers  they wanted do to this antique was more or less a present and the disc came from a busted Lap Top, . .

BTW, . . I tried all the options from Anshads Post, but have not yet succeeded in locating a fresh on line down load , .  most of those replace word pad with some other program, . .

Since I was not permitted to Up Load this type of file (Word Perfect), as an attachment, I assume my email recipients

won't be able to either.

Edited by Jove, 14 May 2013 - 04:50 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users