Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Request for help. Another FBI / MoneyPak ransomware virus.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 homer32

homer32

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

Got home from work this morning to find an odd screen on my computer.  Said "your computer has been block" and needed a $300 payment to be made to unlock.  Computer is an aged XP SP3 system pretty much at the end of usability.  In fact, replacement components are en route for a new system rebuild. 

So far I know that I can't seem to start Normal, Safe Mode, or Last Known Good Configuration.  I have done a lot of reading today, and tried a few things, all of which have not worked.  Using two seperate USB thumbdrives, I tried to create a bootable USB with HitMan Pro 3.7 tool.  While the formatting seems to complete, the drive is never really seen a bootable.  When I select the USB drive from Boot Menu, it restarts the computer after that option is chose and begins a normal boot up and Windows XP splash screen soon appears.  Attempting a Safe Mode boot the scrolling text gets to something ending in "MUP".sys, then restarts again.  Unfortunately, hard drive space has been a rare commodity, and due to that System Restore is not currently enabled.

Any recommendations to get a workable, bootable USB drive so that I can hopefully run a utility, like HitMan Pro, or something else?  Also, guess I should note that computer uses Microsoft Security Essentials, updated a couple times per week, and full scans a couple times a week.  Also using MalwareBytes software weekly.  So whatever this is seems to be a recent exploit.  Unable to access anything it seems, Task Manager, Desktop, Start menu, My Computer, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

I answered at geeks2go

Gringo
I Close My Topics If You Have Not Replied In 5 Days If You Will Be Longer Please Let Me Know

If I Have Not Replied To One Of My Topics In 48 Hrs Please Bump The Topic

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show your appreciation or to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here -->btn_donate_SM.gif<-- Don't worry every little bit helps.

Proud Graduate Of Malware Removal University

#3 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.
I Close My Topics If You Have Not Replied In 5 Days If You Will Be Longer Please Let Me Know

If I Have Not Replied To One Of My Topics In 48 Hrs Please Bump The Topic

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show your appreciation or to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here -->btn_donate_SM.gif<-- Don't worry every little bit helps.

Proud Graduate Of Malware Removal University

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users