Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smc 7004 Vbr Barricade Router And Alpha Shield X2?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:26 AM

We finally have ADSL phone high speed out here and will be getting a hookup today. I have a toshiba notebook, intel pent 4, satellite 2410, mobile processor,512 RAM and 1.9 ghz.

I also have a brand new Toshiba notebook sitting in the box yet, I wanted one before Vista got out of the bull pen!

Anyway, my older computer I use at work and was given my new one as a bonus and I believe the model is M50-MX5 again another work horse intel pentium. Good enough to suit my needs, I am not a gamer and don;t chat etc.
Google research topics, M$ word use and emails and burn dvd backups and use my Hauppauge program to convert vhs videos to DVD's with my BenQ 162I external burnermm(my hobby).

Since i applied for the highspeed phone, I bought the SMC 7004VBR Router at the suggestion of our office techie, and the Alpha Shield X2. The external modem supplied by the phone co. is a DLink DSL 300G ADSL.
I have it set up per the instructions with the phone jack cable to the modem and then to the alpha shield and finally to the Router. I will be calling Alpha Shield to insure that this connection gives the optimum protection.

The other programs that I use on my Older Toshiba at work are Norton systemworks at the request of management as we use NAV and Ghost, (though a resource hog) and spysweeper, trojan hunter, and scotty the dog. And occasionally I scan with the latest version of Avert Stinger or Housecall.
In the last 4 years no crashes,no viruses, no spyware and no malware issues.
Now that I will be on high speed I thought that I should post to find out experienced opinions of my programs and the protection it will give me.

I forgot to say I use only sp2 firewall as I threw out ZA 6 as it gave headaches in trying to hookup to the internet and i am no knowledgable enough anyway to answer the yes/no access questions that these programs demand of the user. My bro uses the older kerio version 2. something but I am satisfied with the sp2 firewall. i hate the questions asked of me the user when I am simply trying to do my work and am not experienced in what is good and bad for my computer.

i would appreciate your comments.
You will also see that I have a post in here regarding another A/V program that I am considering for my New Toshiba computer instead of NAV.
Thanks for your time.
Regards

Edited by georgia, 10 April 2006 - 10:30 AM.

Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users