Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lap top started shutting down now won't Boot up at all.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lynger

lynger

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

I had just started getting popup that battery life is ending on Dell Inspiron 1545. Also got popup for update for Superspyware.. Which Dell recently installed when my password got disabled. Now I can't boot up at all. Please help! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

Your problem sounds like the laptop is not getting power.

either:

1. The AC adapter is unplugged from the wall or the laptop

2.  The AC adapter is dead

3. The DC In jack on the laptop is bad

When You Plug in the DELL AC Adapter does the green light on it light?

When You plug and unplug the AC Adapter from the laptop does the light that show it is getting power go on and off?

For reference the service manual is here

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-1545_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

If the laptop is not getting power to run and charge the battery, The symptom is that when you turn it on it keeps turning off and as the battery becomes more discharged (Run Down due to not charging) it stays on less time each time.

Does this describe Your Problem?

If that is not the problem, Does the laptop stay on and just not boot? That would be a different problem.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 09 May 2013 - 05:04 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 lynger

lynger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

Both the green light on adaptor and the light on laptop stey on when plugged in. When I turn laptop on I get the Dell Inspiron logo then screen quickly goes blank and cursor blinks until I shut it off. Is this consistent with the battery life dying?

Thank you.

#4 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:31 AM

Do you have it plugged in all the time? Maybe you noticed a light on your computer acting different than normal?

The batteries act wired when they are at the end of use cycle. A website visit to Amazon will have you finding a battery for your machine at a reasonable price; under $50.

I have had to get new charger/adapter before, also. Make sure that it's putting out.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

#5 lynger

lynger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:52 AM

I ordered new battery today and my adaptor is fairly new. Thanks!

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

When I turn laptop on I get the Dell Inspiron logo then screen quickly goes blank and cursor blinks until I shut it off. Is this consistent with the battery life dying?

That behaviour actually seems to be HDD or System boot failure. In my experience, Dell does not need a chargeable battery (as some HP and others do) to boot via external power.

If DEll does not give a warning of an incompatible power supply at boot then most likely the charger is good.

Remove the battery > boot to BIOS > set to defaults > save changes and exit BIOS.

If the problem still persists; Will the machine boot from (verified working) live media (CD/DVD, USB FDD, external HDD, SD card etc.)?

Edited by bludgard, 10 May 2013 - 07:49 AM.

#7 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

When I turn laptop on I get the Dell Inspiron logo then screen quickly goes blank and cursor blinks until I shut it off. Is this consistent with the battery life dying?

That behaviour actually seems to be HDD or System boot failure. In my experience, Dell does not need a chargeable battery (as some HP and others do) to boot via external power.

If DEll does not give a warning of an incompatible power supply at boot then most likely the charger is good.

Remove the battery > boot to BIOS > set to defaults > save changes and exit BIOS.

If the problem still persists; Will the machine boot from (verified working) live media (CD/DVD, USB FDD, external HDD, SD card etc.)?

What he said! (kudos to bludgard)

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

OK, Then You do not have a power problem. That is good. The battery warning is most likely from the Dell software that monitors the battery condition. It will tell you when the battery is approaching the end of it's usable life.

Since You appear to have Windows 7, Have You tried the windows start-up repair?

When You turn on the Laptop and the Dell logo appears start pressing F12 and select Diagnostics. Run the hard drive test and if it passes then use Our tutorial below. Run the start-up repair and see if it helps.

How to start the Windows 7 Recovery Environment

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-the-windows-7-recovery-environment/

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 10 May 2013 - 08:20 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#9 lynger

lynger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

After doing Diagnostics w no issues it still would not start up w Windows 7 disk inserted so I took it to in for repair. I greatly appreciate all your help. Thanks

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

Good Luck

The not starting with the DVD inserted means that

1. the drive could be bad.

2. The disk could be bad

3. The Bios settings are not set to boot from the DVD first.

On a Dell you would press F12 when the Dell logo appears to get to the boot device menu and select the DVD drive.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

Now I can't boot up at all. Please help! Thanks!

Disconect all peripherals (power, printers, USB devices, SD cards etc.) > remove battery > remove HDD > connect to power supply (mains) > boot from (verified) live media....

Anything at all?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users