Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emachine Ram problem?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AST1

AST1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

Hi. I have a Emachine T5274a desktop with Vista home premium 32 bit. Lately ,but not all the time a blue screen will come up and it says a hardaware problem is detected and needs to shut down. the windows solution says it's a HP lap top which it's not. I did the windows diagnostics tool test on the memory(at boot up) and windows says a hardware problem has been detected. Seeing this test is a test for the memory,can I assume I need to get new Ram and the problem is gone or does this test test other area? If I'm not explaining good enough feel free to ask. I just don't want to buy Ram if I don't need to. Of course the machine is working fine today,but it crashes every few days.Thank you.

Edit: Moved topic from Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

If the machine can boot from external (live) media and time allows, download PartedMagic (or other bootable media) and run hardware tests; especially RAM, hard drive and power supply. Will the machine boot to Safe Mode? What state is the machine as far as being dusty or heat-sink blades being clogged?

Edited by bludgard, 09 May 2013 - 07:35 PM.

#3 AST1

AST1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:23 AM

Hi bludgard. I have run the Windows diagnostic tool and I recently ran the Ubuntu Live CD and did the memory test from there. All though it's hard to interpret the Live CD memory test is showing a lot of red and failures. I will check out Parted Magic as well. I clean the dust out of the machine regularly so I don't think there is a over heating problem. Like I said it's real moody. I'm typing on it now and it's booting normally . Real moody,all of a sudden it will just crash to the blue screen and say it's an Hp laptop problem. The only reason I think it's Ram is because when I went to the HP web site it mentions a memory problem so I think Windows did it's best to get me somewhere. I'll look at Parted Magic though.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

There is a tool - Memtest86+ - that is generally accepted by the IT community as reliable and safe; and free to boot (no pun intended) :lmao: .

One will need to boot from the media and run test on installed RAM (optimally overnight, but most issues will be detected within the first hour or so). 

A couple of questiotns:

Is this the original hard drive? How old?

Has the RAM been removed from the MB and reseated? Checked performence of machine swapping RAM modules about and testing with one stick at a time in different slots?

Has the power supply unit been tested and proved to produce at a stable and apropos rate?

#5 lti

lti

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

Memtest86+ is the memory test on Ubuntu Live CDs, so he already ran it. Since it showed a lot of errors, the RAM is the most likely problem, but a failing motherboard or power supply could also cause these errors. The questions bludgard posted about the RAM and power supply still apply here, but the hard drive doesn't need to be checked right now.

Edited by lti, 12 May 2013 - 10:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users