Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Identifying Hard Drive Sectors

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

I have a DELL Dimension 2350 here and used it to plug in a downed HD, (Disc Read Error),

Attempting to open it to possibly down load the files since it can not be opened in a Compaq Presario,

So I parked in an external Drive and plugged it in,

I must have missed something because when I open My Computer after unplugging the, External HD,

I am looking at the same thing as I have seen when it was plugged in;

Local Disk (C:)

Local Disk (F:)

Local Disk (G:)

I am trying to figure out what I am looking at;

There is only one hard drive in the DELL, . . . 

What am I seeing because when the External Hard drive was in I thought that G which shows up in properties as ;

12.4 MB Used Space and

18.8 MB free space

I should have known this was not the External Hard drive but overlooked the figures,

because when I open it I saw no files here, and therefore thought that this was the downed HD in the External Drive compartment.

Please tell me what am I looking at ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

Can a screenshot be posted of Disk Management - fully opened window?

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

Yes, I will tr to do that ! I take it you mean My Computer folder ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

Sorry but my netspeed is atrocious ATM. Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

dm2o1w.jpg

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

That would be Device Manager; Look further down the list on the left for Disk Management.

#7 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

Sorry about that !

20zcpq0.jpg

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#8 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

It would appear that C: is the Windows drive (partition), F: is more than likely (since it is marked as "active") a Dell recovery drive and G? If it isn't a dianostics-tool partition I do not have a clue....

One can browse these partitions/drives when booted from live media.

Hope this has been a bit helpful.

Edit: Disk Management will show each separate HDD, FDD, SD card etc. as a Disk which will occupy a whole segent of the GUI.

Edited by bludgard, 10 May 2013 - 06:35 AM.

#9 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

This is a SS of my other HD that I use for data storage you will notice that there is a WIN7 Setup, . .

I have a downed Computer that won't boot do to a disc read error, my first question,

Can I some how use this 7 setup intended to be reinstalled on an ACER to boot from, like as in an OS ?

2. If not I would like to format this and possibly use it with a Windows XP Home Compaq Operating System CD

There is another thread relating to this but we are talking reboot using other technical means,

Regarding formatting I want to be sure that my data on the other partition will be safe.

wl9gya.jpg

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#10 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:29 AM

Can a link to the other thread be posted, please?

The drives shown are 60 and 40 GBs; a bit dated, IMO. Consider creating images and/or clones of these drive as a safety net. Also an external drive would be perfect for backing-up files, folders, docs, vids, pics etc. for safe future migration to imminent custom installs.

#11 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

It is a rather long thread, please don't get lost there ;

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/493580/bootblock-emergency-recovery-mode/

To be truthful I don't know anything about mirroing images i.e Hard drive etc.

but I do have the downed disk, the external drive disc and the one in this PC,

I have not retried reloading the downed HD into the EX Drive, and viewing it as I may have not looked in the correct place in MY Computer last try, to be frank it worries me that this PC might go down if something would happen, so 

my choice at this point is to make room on the data disc  by formatting the OS 7, since I doubt it will be useful in starting up the downed PC but possibly starting it up with the use of Compaq XP OS disc which I am suppose to pick up Monday, then if I can start the PC from that, . .in anyway, .   will that help me reinstall the original HD for a restart of that OS ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#12 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

Let the "downed drive" be for the moment, eh? If there is any data to be rescued that can be dealt with later; if not, trash it.

By all means: Wipe the "Win7" disk and use it at will (maybe for clone(s)/image(s). Acquire install media and be prepared to install on a dependable disk.

I'll read up and may give some input....

#13 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:17 PM

Both my desktop, Compaq Presario and DELL dimension 2350 are antiques, I'll stretch them out till end of summer, . .

I am just hating all the downloads for software I use if I can't restart that Presario.

so the thing is I am thinking what has been said in the other thread if I can open it on another PC then it may be possible to reinstall it on the Presario and start it up. This I am not sure of I'll try to get a tech. to open it and see what happens, if not I believe I am going to try to get my hands on a boot disc,  somewhere, .  I haven't been able to make one that works I think I tried 3 different software programs and 2 of them would not fit on the floppies.

Appreciate you looking into that I'm just not brave enough to try to open it on this PC, to risky!

I fooled around with it a little to much and I am concerned it will short this PC out.

I'll let you know if I can get someone to open it, etc.

Edited by Jove, 12 May 2013 - 11:18 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#14 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

The original plan to get an XP install disc fell through however I may get it any day now, . .

Here is my new plan;

I am going to format Disc 1 (I:) Windows 7, (post 11) , . . then install if I can Windows XP sp2,

on (I:) I will then tke this HD and install it in downed PC, the one with the ( disc read error),

and try to boot it from the Drive 1, . . .

Does this seem reasonable, ?

Another question is when installing the WXPOS on that drive in the DELL and that OS is a Compaq OS,

it is also being installed from Compaq OS CD MS Windows XP Home and is only for use with a Compaq Restore CD, which I do not have, however I believe I have done this before, I think it will work, . .

If it does I might then be able to install my downed disc as a slave and possibly open it ???

Correct ??

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#15 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

I am going to format Disc 1 (I:) Windows 7, (post 11) , . . then install if I can Windows XP sp2,

on (I:) I will then tke this HD and install it in downed PC, the one with the ( disc read error),

and try to boot it from the Drive 1, . . .

Does this seem reasonable, ?

Another question is when installing the WXPOS on that drive in the DELL and that OS is a Compaq OS,

it is also being installed from Compaq OS CD MS Windows XP Home and is only for use with a Compaq Restore CD, which I do not have, however I believe I have done this before, I think it will work, . .

If it does I might then be able to install my downed disc as a slave and possibly open it ???

Correct ??

Also my concerns formatting the disc labeled Windows 7 Setup, .  There won't be any problem ?

It will only format the W7 data correct ?

If and when I do stick the reinstalled disc (I:) in the Presario, how will the boot pick up that particular disc in the drive ?

In synopsis I will install  Hard drive with formatted disc partition, and try to install the OS from disc, . .

I am not sure how the PC will locate the disk unless the OS installation will ask that, . . my other concern is is the "disc read" problem only concerning the disc or is the PC motherboard involved?

Edited by Jove, 14 May 2013 - 05:57 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users