Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Paper pickup problem with a brother MFC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

I have a brother MFC 7820n that is giving me a lot of trouble.  It will pick up the first piece of paper without any trouble but the second will roll backwards and somehow block the printer from picking up any more paper. I have cleaned all the pickup and separation rollers even to the point of nearly removing them to completely clean them as well as cleaning the separation pad.  It will pick up the first sheet of paper without a problem but will somehow screw up the second.  It appears like the second sheet of paper gets fed back into the paper tray instead of getting pushed up into the printer.  The printer does also make some noise that I would contribute to it being dirty.  The printer is in the office of a grain elevator so dust is constant and unpreventable.  I can't think of a better way to describe what it is doing but I will do my best to answer questions as best I can and I will take any suggestions you guys have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

That is a horrible environment to have anything like a printer in !  I think you have done everything reasonable for this machine and it is time to replace it. Would it be possible to fit some sort of cover over it so that it is only exposed to the inevitable dust when paper is being loaded or printed work taken out ?

I am thinking something on the lines of a bread bin with a roll-up lid like the ones in this link : 

http://www.only-kitchenware.co.uk/Bread%20Bins/Roll%20Top/

Obviously a bread bin would not be big enough, but you get the idea.

Chris cosgrove

#3 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

Yeah we did replace the printer and we know that it is a horrible environment for any type of printer, this is why we go with a cheaper model.  No matter how much you spend on it, it is going to crap out kinda fast in that environment.  The printer is located in an office that is kept closed up when no one is using it (it isn't used very often) which keeps a fair amount of dust out but it is still a hard environment for a printer to be in.  I went back and cleaned the paper separator a few more times and after running several sheets of paper through it it finally started working right again but we have no way of knowing how long it will hold up.  I have it out of the dusty environment now and will see how long it lasts before it starts to act up again.

Thanks for the post Chris, we have other issues that could use some kind of cover like that as well.  We have had mice get in and eat the wiring inside our printers before.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users