Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot get older Toshiba laptop to boot from CD or USB no matter what I do

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hello all,

New guy here and thanks in advance for any help.

So... a few weeks ago I got ahold of a fairly old laptop for free. Its a 2004-2005 era Toshiba Tecra laptop. The old HD was totally locked, so long story short, I bought a remanufactured drive for about $12 on Ebay.

Here is the problem. I wanted to install the Ubuntu OS on it and first burned a CD, then put this on a USB drive as well. The issue is that no matter what I do, the laptop WILL NOT boot from either the CD or the USB. I have gone into the BIOS and re-ordered the boot priority to CD>FCC ( USB Drive) >HDD.

Basically, the computer totally ignores both of those items then fails to even recognize the HD, gives me a "Check connections" message or something to that effect.

This is a crappy old laptop I intend to simply browse online with on the couch. But I can't even get it to boot from anything to install the new OS.

Anyone have a remote clue what might be happening here?

Edited by hamluis, 09 May 2013 - 02:08 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

Well...maybe that's why it was in the trash bin of someone.

A system that doesn't boot from any device...is not of much value, since time and energy will be spent on attempting to troubleshoot/define the problem.  The fact that it's a laptop makes that much harder than it would be were it a desktop, IMO.

If it were a desktop...I'd say "Change the CMOS battery" as the first step.  Many configuration/hardware-detection/recognition problems trace to such.

But...it's a laptop, an older laptop...it could be anything, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 May 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#3 bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

A friend of mine suggested buying a HD enclosure with a USB connection, connect this to another PC, boot the PC off of the USB drive, then when it comes to select which drive to install the OS on, choose the one this one. Then stick it in the laptop. I looked on Ebay and the enclosures are ridiculously cheap, like less than $5. I am wondering if this is a possibility.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Hello Bobwilson1977 and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Can you please post the model number that should be printed on the sticker which is located on the bottom panel? 

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

Yep.

Says its a TECRA M2.

So basically here's a little more background. The assumption was simply install a new HD and boot off the CD. No dice. This is even the exact same type of HD made by the same manufacture, and possibly even the same vintage. Doesn't matter. It still doesn't want to boot up via the CD or USB.

Edited by bobwilson1977, 09 May 2013 - 03:11 PM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

Great thanks for the model number.

Let's start off with a link to a web site that shows how disassemble your M2 laptop. The reason I am providing this link is because it may help you locate and correct an internal electrical related issue.

Please check out this link first:

How to disassemble Toshiba Tecra M2. Repair laptop yourself instructions.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaM2/tecra_M2_disassembly_1.htm

(NOTICE: The M3 is the SAME as the M2 that link above can be used by anyone owning an M3 laptop)

Hang in there please, I am doing some research on this issue for you.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 09 May 2013 - 04:51 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

Reset BIOS back to Default, remove the HDD: Will the machine still not boot from USB or CD/DVD? If not I would suspect a need for a BIOS reflash, controller and/or connector issues or another MB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users