Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to scan a disk drive with OS on it?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ca1492

ca1492

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

Hello,

I believe my Windows 7 system was infected. 

Where it is a CAD workstation I couldn't afford to waste much more time trying to repair or sending it out for recovery.

So, I elected to replace my 500gb hard drive and start from scratch.

The system now has a new install of Windows 7 and I have run updates for the OS.

McAfee AntiVirus Plus is currently installed and running.

I am currently installing software.

I would like to recover my files from the old HDD.  It still has the old Windows 7 OS still installed and it may be infected.

My goal with the old 500gb drive is to recover my files and to then scour the drive clean so that it could be used as a complete backup with OS installed.   I have a USB to SATA adapter to connect the drive. 

What would be my next step(s)?

Thank you for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

Install Panda USB Vaccine, or BitDefender’s USB Immunizer on your computer to protect it from any infected USB device.

Now you're safe to plugin your old drive and scan it with your AV program.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users