Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! HIDDEN FILES ON O: DRIVE

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 teemo404

teemo404

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

Hi!
Im new here and looking for someone who could help answer me.
My now ex-boyfriend has hidden provocative pictures etc on his hard drive (he's a computer geek/wizard as he went to school for system tech and security with Fedora/Linux processing) and I need to know the files are deleted. Ive spoken with a mutual friend who will "borrow" his hard-drive to "copy some movies" to her hard drive, he downloads like 50 GB a month of videos/TV programs!
He's extremely smart and Ive tried everything! I want to see the files first, as I may copy them and press charges as they were done without me knowing... He's a bad guy!
Ive tried searching, Ive tried showing hidden files etc
Ive tried using the cmd controls, Im pretty fluent in a computer for a girl, but not as much as this! Can someone PLEASE help me?!!
His hard drive is called Lacie, it has a grey outer shell and white inner shell and its the o: drive and we have windows; not xp or vista... Please, someone... Is there a way to crack these??? I really need help!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

well I would say move all of the visible files off the drive, format it entirely, then run an overwrite empty space program then move the visible files back onto it.

Ccleaner will do this just make sure the box is checked for it, this makes sure that the files cannot be recovered.

Now I cannot condone whiping someone else's data as that is not exactly a moral thing to do, but sensitive/personal files... alright.

The other thing to check is that they are not just buried somewhere in the folders one the drive out in the open.

#3 teemo404

teemo404
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

Ive tried looking through all the files..
He has millions of folders, and Im worried there's pictures of "other girls."

See, the reason we separated is because I walked in on him doing the dirty with another girl on Skype...
I came home 3 days early from a trip with my parents to see that, not the greatest thing.

After 5 years of being together, Ive noticed him staying up really late and me waking up, differently...

He's always mentioned of this particular instance of being a fettish, but fo me... Not my cup of tea.
And this is my privacy, I hold a rather high title in my current state of employment!!!!
I want all the pictures and after I confront him about them, then I will decide to whether I want charges. 
We've already contacted some of the other girls too... 
Im sorry if this is TMI... But Im literally at wits end! 
I don't want them wiped... Yet.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

I am not sure exactly how you intend to examine this ex-boyfriend's hard drive--as I am sure it won't be done with his approval.

There are settings in windows that are found under folder options that can allow certain files to become visible. You'll find folder options in the control panel. Once you have the the folder options window on the screen you can click on the VIEW tab and go down the list of options and check mark those related to hidden files and folders, which will make every file and folder visible.

Once that is accomplished use the Windows search feature and start off with what I type in bold below and allow it to search all jpg  .bmp and png files. Look at each one and see if it the files you wish were not on that drive. 

*.* .bmp

*.* .jpg

*.* .png

You may also want to look for video files such as .mkv .avi .vob .wmv .mpg .gp and so on.

That is about the only way you'll know for sure if they exist.

By the way, I am sorry to hear that you are going though a tough time in your life, step forward and go on with your life.

Kind regards....

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

<<...on his hard drive...>>

To me...that sounds definitely like you have no right to try to access any files...on that drive....by intent of the owner/user.

Whatever the relationship between the two of you...I certainly would not assist you in attempting to violate the designated space of another user.

Your situation, IMO, sounds like something for Ann Landers or someone of that ilk...not a computer forum.

That's my perspective.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 May 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#6 teemo404

teemo404
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

Well Hamluis: A forum is something where people can answer other people questions about one subject or to discuss interests in one subject as well.
Webster defines a forum as: 

An internet forum/ discussion board is an online site for sharing information and ideas through the internet. It allows numerous people around the globe to speak up about their knowledge, experience, expertise, information, etc. with each other to help one another.

So!

I need knowledge, this post gave me an opportunity to hear what they had to suggest from their knowledge of a computer.
Mind you, before you had to make that... Comment... Someone has already answered me through another forum.
So, my issue was resolved.
As a future tip, keep your opinions to yourself, they make you look like an ********. 
Cause right now, to me, you really are an *******. (Hard to believe you're a mod :S)
I have pressed charges against this guy and my case won. He had minors posing for him, okay? This was serious!
So Hamluis, thanks for being a jerk, but I must go now...
Thank you to GreenGiant117 and MrBruce1959 for your help, it was helpful :)
Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users