Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nevvy

nevvy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:10 AM

Hi

I am an enthusiastic amateur when it comes to IT issues, but I wonder if someone can help me out with this one.

I have a newish PC and when I switch it on and plug my Monitor into it it goes dead. Not a flicker, not a sausage. The PC is running, the monitor isn't. When I pull the plug, it flickers on with 'no signal' until I re-plug it in and then it goes dead again. It works fine with my old PC.

Is this a graphics card problem, and if so, how do I resolve it without a monitor?

Nev

(Moderator edit: Post moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 10 April 2006 - 11:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:20 AM

It very well could be. Is your adapter intergated or a stand alone card PCI/AGP/PCIe? It it is a plug in card re-seat the card. I have this very problem with the wifes computer. The card had raised up enough to loose connection. Even pressure along the top of the card re-seated it resolved the problem.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:07 AM

or perhaps you have an integrated card and an add-in card and you are plugging into the wrong connector? I believe the presence of an add-in will always over-ride the integrated gfx port.

in anticipation of you saying no, does the computer make any beeps when it starts up. From memory I believe the norm is a beep when you first hit the power on and then another when all the BIOS tests/detections/configurations have been performed. Then the comp searches for an OS. If there is an error there will be no beep or an alternate beep like a double beep etc. try googleing BIOS beep for a guide to the codes. If this is the case you most likely have a POST problem(Power On System Test) which has nothing to do with your monitor.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:18 AM

You asked... BIOS beep & POST codes
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:00 PM

Which operating system and what kind of monitor?

When you say "newish" - do you mean new computer or new to you?

The reason I ask is that an older operating system like 98 will not work with an LCD monitor
without getting it set up first in some cases. You need to go into Safe Mode and set the video
first, then reboot in normal mode.

Newer systems find the LCD panel just fine, usually. Safe Mode is 640 x 480 VGA and works with most anything, with no video drivers being installed. Do you see anything at all when you're booting up?

Have you got another monitor you can try?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users