Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP WITH O: HARD DRIVE/HIDDEN FILES

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 teemo404

teemo404

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Hi!
Im new here and looking for someone who could help answer me.
My now ex-boyfriend has hidden provocative pictures etc on his hard drive (he's a computer geek/wizard as he went to school for system tech and security with Fedora/Linux processing) and I need to know the files are deleted. Ive spoken with a mutual friend who will "borrow" his hard-drive to "copy some movies" to her hard drive, he downloads like 50 GB a month of videos/TV programs!
He's extremely smart and Ive tried everything! I want to see the files first, as I may copy them and press charges as they were done without me knowing... He's a bad guy!
Ive tried searching, Ive tried showing hidden files etc
Ive tried using the cmd controls, Im pretty fluent in a computer for a girl, but not as much as this! Can someone PLEASE help me?!!
His hard drive is called Lacie, it has a grey outer shell and white inner shell and its the o: drive and we have windows; not xp or vista... Please, someone... Is there a way to crack these??? I really need help!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

I think I'd buy a 5-lb magnet, open his case, remove hard drive, place hard drive on top of computer case, place magnet on top of hard drive, and leave!  But that's just me!

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#3 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

Step #1:

Download Parted Magic =  http://partedmagic.com/ 

Step #2:

Burn the disc image to a dvd or cd 

Step #3

Boot the disc on your computer = Use default settings

I would imagine he's hiding the files on a secret parition that is either encrypted or unreadable by the OS you used before to examine the drive, remember even partitions marked as hidden will show up in this partition manager

Step #5:

Open Partition Manager, Choose the drive, it will list all paritions on that drive and what type of filesystems are being used.

Step #6:

Close Partition Manager, and mount the device using mount devices

Step #7:

Open My Documents, Choose the device, Under View menu Click "Show Hidden Files"

(you can use the search options to search for files made between certain dates if you need)

Signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users