Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Master Drive To Slave Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:06 AM

Hi,

Yesterday I tried to install a new C drive because mine was running slow. The idea was to install a new C drive without much on it and use my old C drive, which was pretty full as a secondary slave drive, deleting Windows of it and just keeping my files.

I installed Windows on the new drive OK, but when I started up with my old C drive attached as a slave drive, I was told there was an error with it and it needed to run chkdsk. I let it do that and it proceeded to delete almost all my files from my old C drive.

I've now restored from my backup which I made a week ago, meaning I've only lost a week's work, so it's not too bad.

Does anyone know if it's possible to do what I was trying to do, and if so how to go about it?

Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:30 AM

There is a reason why your old drive was running slow. Did you ever figure out why, or what was wrong with it? Perhaps the drive itself is going bad.

Go to the manufacturer's website and download their disk utility to check the hard drive out:

• Fujitsu "FJDT" DOWNLOAD Works with fujitsu models only.
  • Hitachi / IBM - DFT "Drive Fitness Test" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
  • Maxtor "Powermax" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
  • Samsung "hutil" DOWNLOAD Compatability unknown.
  • Seagate "Seatools" DOWNLOAD Works with Seagate drives only.
  • Toshiba - N/A There are no tools available for Toshiba, but you may be able to use IBM or Maxtor's.
  • Western Digital "Data Lifeguard" DOWNLOAD Works with WD drives only.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users