Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot - XP and Win7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gerovital

gerovital

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:59 AM

Hello nice people,

I am having an issue with dual boot (XP and Win7).  Is this the correct forum to post to?

Please advise and thanks!

Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

It's as good as any. What's the question?

#3 gerovital

gerovital
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

Hello Allan,

I was running dual boot with WinXP pro (installed first) and Win7 pro with no problems for sometime now.

The 2 OS are installed on 2 separate partitions both primary on same HDD.

Now at boot (set with easyBCD), WinXP starts normally, but when I choose Win7 it will show the animated logo, stops and go back to BIOS then to boot screen again offering the 2 OS to choose from and so on...

No new hardware has been added/modified since.

Actions taken:

- Run the OEM Win7 disc automated repair function (cannot be repaired error: 0xc0000225)

- Tried running Win7 in safe mode

- Run EasyBCD to reinstall the bootloader to XP MBR

- Wiped/formatted and reinstalled Win7 on the same partition (it just installs and works perfectly until I shut-down and restart the PC)

- Tried running "fixmbr" booting from XP install disc but I am warned this could wipe the MBR tables and not being able to boot in any OS. So I left it alone!

I have an Acronis startup recovery manager (for XP) "F11" key at boot but I don't think this is interfering.

With many thanks,

Robert

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

If you can boot into Win 7...install EasyBCD there...elect to Add New Entry (it should autodetect the XP install.

FWIW:  When XP and Win 7 are dual-booted...the boot files should be on the Win 7 install, not the XP install.  The Win 7 bootloader overrides the XP install files.  Using a tool like fixmbr to attempt to repair will only result in the Win 7 install not being bootable (best result) and may require a reinstall of XP (worst case, IME).

Louis

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

Hi

Can you run all software and movies or games from the XP install ?. If yes, your RAM is in good condition. Since you are able to make the Windows 7 working for one time by re installing, here are my conclusion :

-You can see the boot menu and actually boot the 2 OS so boot sector is fine.

-A faulty or incompatible hardware or software driver (Antivirus, Disc emulation ) is clashing the Windows kernel and hence the system restarts. Press "F8" when booting in to the Win 7 install ans select "Disable automatic restart on system failure". Report what you can see in the screen.

-There may be bad sectors in the area where Win 7 is installed (especially if it is the main OS which you regularly use). Running a surface scan is necessary to know if there are any bad clusters in the HDD.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

See if this helps (read the entire page before doing anything): http://www.qliktips.com/2012/11/fix-windows-8-boot-issue.html

#7 gerovital

gerovital
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

Hello,

Just managed to resolve the issue!  :guitar:

It looks like that the Acronis Startup Recovery manager (F11 key at bootime) was messing up the boot process...  so I disabled it and reinstalled Win7.

I now have stable dual-boot system.  I dont' know whether it was my machine or an Acronis bug. http://kb.acronis.com/content/14411

Thanks for your great help and God bless.

Robert

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it sorted out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users