Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chinese battery cells often have exaggerated capacity claims?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 greta2013

greta2013

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:36 AM

Have you ever heard the 18650 battery? My battery died about several days ago, and i bought a new one from http://www.batteryselling.com/hp-pavilion-dv5-battery-6-cell-5200mah-11-1v.html based on China, i found the number "18650" printed on the battery and don't know the real meaning of it. I have heard that Chinese cells often have exaggerated capacity claims(what they claim is just a value in theory). Is it true and i wondering how to know the real capacity of it?On the other hand, what will be the highest capacity for 18650 cell? oh, sorry for so many questions here, all the help will be greatly appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

18650 refers to the batteries size (18.6mm x 65mm, a little bigger than an AA battery) not its capacity.

Highest capacity of an 18650 cell (the individual cell mind you) will be around 3000mAh, thats the highest I have ever heard of (worked at a battery company for a couple years) though typically you wont see anything quite that high, more common is around 2300mAh (2.3Ah)

in order to know its true capacity you would have to run a capacity check, by that I mean drain it completely at a set current drain (completely meaning to its lowest voltage, typically for lithium ion that would be 2V) then charge it back up to its full voltage (again with lithium ion this would be about 3.6) then do that again to get the full charge, and discharge capacities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users