Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Connection is never found -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 schildkraut1

schildkraut1

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

Hello. I have a Dell Inspiron 1011 running XP SP3. Some time ago it had a horrible 'fake antivirus' virus that required lots of cleanup. After that work, the wireless never worked again. There is a button on the keyboard to switch it on, and it says it is on, but it does not pick up any wireless networks. 

A Dell technician did a home visit for a forgotten reason and looked at the wireless, but he couldn't figure it out either, and his advice was to Google the problem. Any tips? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HAv0k

HAv0k

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:16 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/493942/new-windows-install-but-cant-get-online-read-here/

Download the program from the first link, run it and it will give you the ability to install the driver for your PCs wireless card.

Edited by HAv0k, 08 May 2013 - 10:17 PM.

#3 schildkraut1

schildkraut1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

Thanks. Will DL now.

#4 HAv0k

HAv0k

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

Thanks. Will DL now.

Let me know if it fixes the problem!

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

One other possible cause for this problem is a failed wi-fi unit inside the computer - they can fail and appear to be working but they either do not transmit or do not receive. This has been the conclusion several times on BC and has happened to me once.

If HAv0k's suggestion doesn't work - and I hope it does - you could try a USB wireless dongle. If you can't borrow one, they are not very expensive. I still have a Toshiba laptop which will only connect to the internet using a dongle. Apart from that, it is a very reliable if rather slow computer, which is why we keep it as backup.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 09 May 2013 - 06:12 PM.

#6 schildkraut1

schildkraut1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

Thanks, Chris. Havok's idea didn't work. I thought it was the wi-fi failing, but hoped for something cheaper. This is an old and slow machine, but it works - will get the usb.

Julie

#7 HAv0k

HAv0k

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

Thanks, Chris. Havok's idea didn't work. I thought it was the wi-fi failing, but hoped for something cheaper. This is an old and slow machine, but it works - will get the usb.

Julie

Wireless NIC's are only about 20-30$, but make sure you know what kind of slot your NIC is using.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users