Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware/virus removal challenge

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 laborday95

laborday95

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

I am running Windows 7 on an hp laptop.

I have some kind of virus/malware that I can't get rid of.  I can't update Spybot definitions, and when I try to run Malwarebytes, I get the error "Failed to load control 'vbalGrid' from vbalsgrid6.ocx.  Your version of vablsgrid6.ocx may be outdated.  Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application."

Other things of note:  I cannot download anything from the internet.  No errors, just doesn't download.  Nothing happens when I click the "Save" button.  I cannot view my computer's properties.  When I right click on "Computer" and then select "Properties," nothing happens.

I was running ZoneAlarm's free firewall and anti-virus program, but it has been disabled.  When I try to launch it, I get the error message "Validation failed for C:\Program Files (x86)\Checkpoint\ZoneAlarm\VSINIT.dll.

When I go to "Control Panel" and click "Uninstall a program," nothing happens.  Pretty much nothing works in Control Panel, except "Clock, Language, and Region."

I've always counted on Spybot and Malwarebytes to clean this kind of stuff up, but neither are working (spybot runs, but on old definitions and finds nothing).

A little help please?  Thanks.

Oh, and yes I tried running both in Safe Mode to no avail.  Can't download anything in Safe Mode either.

Edit: Moved from Windows 7 to a more appropriate forum

Roger

Edited by laborday95, 08 May 2013 - 07:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Francis Houle_*

Guest_Francis Houle_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

Reset browsers

How to restore Google Chrome:
1. Close the Google Chrome browser, if it is running.
2. Go to Start menu, search for Run and open it. Or find it out from the Start menu, All programs, Accessories.
3. Type the following line according to the OS in the run box.

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\ (in Windows 8/7/Vista)
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\ (in Windows Xp). And hit Enter.

4. There is a folder named Default and this folder contains all the current settings.

5. Rename the Default folder to Default.old.

6. Now lunch the Google Chrome.

See, all the original settings are restored. A new folder "Default" will be created and it will hold all settings for now.

How to restore Internet Explorer in Windows 8:

1.     Swipe in from the right edge of the screen (if you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen and move the mouse pointer down), and then tap or click Search. Enter Internet options in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.

2.     In the search results, tap or click Internet Options. Tap or click the Advanced tab and then tap or click Reset… 
Note:
 Select the Delete personal settings check box if you would also like to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, Tracking Protection, and ActiveX Filtering data. 

3.     In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings window tap or click Reset 
Note: 
To delete all personal settings,tap or click the checkbox for Delete personal settings.

4.     Close and then restart Internet Explorer for the changes to take effect.

How to restore Internet Explorer in Windows XP, Vista or 7:

1.     Exit all programs, including Internet Explorer.

2.     If you use Windows XP, click Start, and then click Run. Type the following command in the Open box, and then press Enter: inetcpl.cpl

If you use Windows 7 or Windows Vista, click Start

Type the following command in the Search box, and then press Enter: inetcpl.cpl

The Internet Options dialog box appears.

3.     Click the Advanced tab.

4.     Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset. Then click Reset again.
Click to select the Delete personal settings check box if you also want to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, Tracking Protection, and ActiveX Filtering data.

5.     When Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings, click Close in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box.

6.     Start Internet Explorer again.

How to restore Firefox:

1. At the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button, go over to the Help sub-menu
and select Troubleshooting Information.

2. Click the Reset Firefox button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.

3. To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.

4. Firefox will close and be reset. When it's done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Finish and Firefox will open.

#3 laborday95

laborday95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Sorry, but I am not wasting my time resetting browsers, unless you can explain how that would fix my Malwarebytes runtime 372 error, my Zonealarm errors, and restore my access to the Control Panel.

This is not a browser problem, it is either a corrupted registry, or a malware/virus of some sort.  I would appreciate a forum expert's advice on determining the root of the problem.

#4 Guest_Francis Houle_*

Guest_Francis Houle_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

that might be helpful to download tools on the internet

we must proceed one step at a time

#5 laborday95

laborday95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

I have another computer from which I have downloaded tools to attempt to fix the problem.  I would rather focus on the main problem.  I can't hit half of the necessary websites on the laptop anyway.  They are blocked (says invalid server certificate).  And I can't copy and paste anything from anywhere.

Additional note: I did a clean uninstall to try to reinstall Zonealarm (since it was disabled and wouldn't run), but when I tried to reinstall, it tells me my version of Windows is incompatible.

#6 Guest_Francis Houle_*

Guest_Francis Houle_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

Look at that : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/388255/taskbar-gone-372-malwarebytes-error-etc/#entry2189182

#7 laborday95

laborday95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

I have read that link, but I have different symptoms and a different operating system.  My understanding is I should not be running Combofix unless instructed by a moderator.  Everything I have read also says not to follow another post because each person's situation is different, and what worked for one may really screw up your system.

I know you are trying to be helpful, but I would really prefer to wait for bleeping computers expert, although I'm not sure anyone is even going to look at this thread now since it has so many replies.

#8 Guest_Francis Houle_*

Guest_Francis Houle_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

You're right. I hope everything will be fixed quickly. An expert should come assist you ASAP

#9 Guest_Francis Houle_*

Guest_Francis Houle_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

I would be able to resolve this computer issue having this computer in front of me, but in this case, it is better that a BC expert handles the case.

#10 laborday95

laborday95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

Apparently it is NOT malware or a virus, but a corrupted registry.  On a whim I did a system restore as far back as I could go, and now everything is running fine.  This is the second computer I've seen this happen on.  All scans are clean.  I need to remember to try a restore before assuming it's a virus!

Please close this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users