Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kernal data inpage error

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Rez13

Rez13

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

Apologies if this should be in Am I Infected?, but I wasn't sure if it was a hardware or software issue.

For about the past week, my computer has had trouble starting. When I turn it on in the morning after being off all night, it will very rarely start, so I shut it down, and try again and it's fine. But I did notice some oddities, like VLC freezing, which has never happened before on any computer I've ever used. Then today I got an actual error.

The computer was on, and I opened Firefox. The broswer froze and I got the blue screen, with the message:

kernal_data_inpage_error

spaceport.sys

And then the computer restarted. If there was more information I wasn't quick enough to write it down. This computer has already had it's harddrive replaced after it failed about two months ago. The computer is five months old.

Can anyone tell me what I should do, or what additional information I should provide to get help?

Acer Aspire V3-571-6850

Windows 8 64-bit, on a x64-based processor

Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHZ

8.00 GM RAM

750 GB HDD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:29 PM

Hi

Publish a snapshot using Speccy by following this guide : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Don't post the output of Speccy here. Copy and paste the web link it displays.

#3 Rez13

Rez13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:32 PM

Done.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gIpw1eqAnWk6QB51LrxSVSS

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:52 AM

Hi

Follow this steps

1 ) Set system to write crash dumps when BSOD

Press the "Win" and the "R" keys at the same time - then type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that "Automatically restart" is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select "Small memory dump (64 kB)" in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as "%systemroot%\Minidump" (without the quotes)
Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

2 ) Set Pagefile to 'Custome Size"

Refer this video to know how to change virtual memory size :

Set the "maximum" and 'Minimum" pagefile size to "16000" MB (16 GB -double the amount of RAM)

3 ) Open "Control Panel--->Programs" and uninstall "Intel Chipset driver" and "Intel AHCI" driver and restart the system. Now install this drivers.

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Chipset/Chipset_Intel_9.3.0.1021_W8x64_A.zip?acerid=634841602532804241&Step1=NOTEBOOK,%20ULTRABOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20V3-571&OS=8P1&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_4

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/AHCI/AHCI_Intel_11.5.0.1207_W8x64_A.zip?acerid=634841593824272086&Step1=NOTEBOOK,%20ULTRABOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20V3-571&OS=8P1&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_4

If the issue still remains upload all the crash dump files (.dmp) located in "C:\Windows\Minidump" folder to any free file hosting site like "mediafire" and post the download link to it.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 09 May 2013 - 12:52 AM.

#5 Rez13

Rez13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

My only option for "small memory dump" was (256 KB), and I couldn't locate those drivers. The closest I could find was "Intel® 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller". Otherwise I followed your instructions as best I could. Should I uninstall that driver anyway?

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

Hi

Yes, that is the right one so uninstall it. You will also see "Intel Chipset" driver in the uninstall list. Remove them both and install the ones from my link.

Don't worry about the 'Minidump' size, 256KB is the right size. "kernal_data_inpage_error" can be caused by a variety of reasons. A faulty HDD or a faulty storage driver can cause this BSOD. What we are doing now is to isolate the software causes of the issue. By installing latest Chipset and AHCI drivers, we are eliminating the possibility of a faulty storage driver. If you are getting more BSOD or crashes, upload  the crash dumps located in the "C:\Windows\Minidump" folder. Analyzing those will reveal the exact cause of the issue.

Can you confirm the HDD is replaced about 2 months ago ? . Chances are great that instead of replacing the HDD, the service center may simply restored the OS to factory condition.

​For your information, here is the Microsoft's explanation about this error.  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559211(v=vs.85).aspx

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 09 May 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#7 Rez13

Rez13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

Alright, thanks, I'll replace the drivers this afternoon. Only, neither of them were in the uninstall list. The only one I could find was in Device Manager.

And the HDD was replaced, the tech helping me did it right in front of me. Also, the replacement HDD was from an identical computer. (That did result in a new, clean OS install, incidently.) Thankfully, this machine is still under warranty.

Edited by Rez13, 09 May 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

Hi

If you can't see Intel Chipset  driver in 'Programs list', the tech guy may missed to install it (sadly i can't recall the exact name it may have in the programs list).

Can you clarify one more thing ?. You said the replacement HDD is from an identical machine. Does that means instead of replacing a brand new HDD, the tech took it from another identical laptop which was in his hand at that time ? 

#9 Rez13

Rez13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

The tech didn't install anything, the computer had a built-in install for Windows 8, and installed from itself and then updated. I'm sorry if that's not the correct terminology, I don't know what to call it, but I just turned the computer on and it started installing Windows.

The replacement HDD came from a new, unopened laptop they had in store. My service plan is through Best Buy, so since they had the same make and model in store that day, they took it out of the box, and gave me the new, unused HDD out of it.

As to the relevant drivers, Acer lists on their website the following:

"AHCI Intel SATA AHCI Driver v. 11.5.0.1207"

"Chipset Intel Chipset Driver v. 9.3.0.1021"

The same ones you linked me before, so, I guess that's what their called? In device manager I have, under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers "Intel® 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller", and then the version is 9.3.0.1021.

Edited by Rez13, 09 May 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

Hi

Windows 8 came with built in support for a wide variety of hardware. So i guess the current SATA drivers are the one from the built in driver store of Win 8. In that case you don't need to uninstall the driver from 'Device manager'. Just install the drivers downloaded from Acer site or from the link i provided. This will replace and update the default drivers. 

#11 Rez13

Rez13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

Alright, thank you for the clarification. I'll do that now, and report back if I continue having errors.

Although, there is one other thing I noticed and tried. I would only have problems starting the computer first thing in the morning. If I shut it off and came back a few hours later, it would start fine. The only difference I could think of was that over night, I unplug it, and then when I start it in the morning it's typically been unplugged anywhere from 6-12 hours, depending on use. But over the course of the day regardless of how many times I start and shut down, I typically leave it plugged in.

This morning, I plugged it in and left it alone for 20 minutes before attempting to start, and I had no problems. Could that be indicative of some kind of problem with the battery/power supply?

Edit: Drivers replaced/updated, restart happened normally. Thank you for all your help so far. I really sincerely appreciate it.

Edited by Rez13, 09 May 2013 - 01:15 PM.

#12 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Hi

I will be around  :thumbsup:

Chances of a Power problem is less likely. As like the description in the MSDN article, it relates to HDD. The "spaceport.sys" you saw in the crash message is storage related driver and that is another indication of a storage related issue. Let us hope it won't be a HDD failure.

#13 Rez13

Rez13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

That's comforting. I was really hoping for a driver/software problem instead of hardware. I don't want to go through ANOTHER HDD.

Thank you so much! :D

#14 Rez13

Rez13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

The computer's started and run fine two days in a row now, but after getting the new drivers, I found one came with something called Intel Rapid Storage Technology. I understand that this is legitimate software and that it's for managing RAID and multiple drives, as well as informing me of any impending/occuring errors with my drive, but do I need to be running it from start-up, or, at all, really? As you've no doubt noticed, I'm not very tech savvy, and while IRST has a lovely UI, I'm not going to go mucking about in my HDD with it.

#15 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:59 PM

Hi

You can disable the IRST utility from start up (in Win 8 use Task manager ). Intel recommends to keep it so just ignore that small utility. It won't delay the start up much.      

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users