Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need info on new fan that I have installed,.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Madforit

Madforit

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

A few weeks ago I had to replace my CPU fan as it was starting to rattle really badly and I decided to change it before it failed completely.
Just before it started rattling, I noticed that it was also tending to run at a higher speed a lot more often than it normally did and I put it down to a worn fan and also gave the system a damn good clean out as well as the heat sink which I regularly clean anyway,
After installing the new fan everything was great, It was so quiet I had to check that it was actually working and the apps/odd old game that I play regularly which were the things that made it work hard stopped happening so I was very happy, But after about 2-3 weeks of doing everything I normally do on my pc the new fan started working at a faster speed when using these particular apps/games which didn't seem to make any sense to me.
I have checked the working temp of the CPU and most of the time it runs at it's ideal temp and sometimes slightly lower and it also doesn't seem to run any hotter even when the fan starts working harder.

I have done a lot of different scans and checks to try and find the problem but had no luck so far.

Could it be that the sensor's or fan controller may be malfunctioning ?, And if so, How would I go about fixing this problem ?.

If you can think of any other things that I can check I would be more than grateful for any help that you can give me.

I should also say that some days it does seem to be worse than others, and also the new fan that I am using is not the same as the original although I would say it is definately a better one than the stock OEM one.

I am also wondering whether the new fan could possibly be running in the wrong direrction and I have tried looking all over the net to find which way it should be working (sucking / blowing) on my system which is a HP Pavillion a6455.uk...From what I can tell it is sucking air in towards the heatsink but everything I have read has all told me that different computers use different methods.

Please help as this is driving me nuts.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 08 May 2013 - 04:39 PM.
Moved to internal hardware from windows 7. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

Are you talking about a fan/heatsink combo that sits on top of the CPU; yes? If so, I would have to assume that it should suck hot air "away" from the heat sink. Also, does the new fan have a 3 pin or 4 pin mobo connection? I'm assuming it is a 4 pin connection that allows the mobo to regulate the speed based on temperature pre-sets; yes? To make things easier, you might want to identify your CPU and the new fan that you bought (with a link to the site).

#3 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

One more thing... when you make reference to CPU temperatures, you use the word "seems" and that tells me you do not have any specifics. So, without that specific data, your CPU just might be "working as designed" because some games can cause the CPU to work much harder and; thereby, cause an increase in internal temperatures which might trigger the fan speed increase.

#4 Madforit

Madforit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

Unfortunately I cannot tell you the type/model of the fan as that would require removing it and I didn't get it from a site..My friend worked in a server warehouse and had a spare one which was the 2 pin kind with a seperate earth cable which connects to the metal frame of the fan housing and onto the tower case. Originally it was a 3 pin mobo connector and reading the schema tells me that the bottom pin was used for ground.

I have checked when fan is running fast whether the cpu usage is unusually high as i know some apps and games can cause this but it shows no difference to usage whatever the fan speed is or whether the apps are running or not.

My processor is an AMD Phenom 9500 2.2 Ghz 64-Bit if that is any help to you.

#5 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

I really can't come up with any concrete recommendations based on the information available. Good luck.

#6 Madforit

Madforit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

sO IF I CAN GET FAN MODEL WOULD IT HELP YOU DETERMINE THE OUTCOME ???

#7 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:17 AM

Even if the fan model were known, more information, regarding your installation methods would be required. For example, did you just replace the fan or did you replace the fan and heat sink? Did you have to reapply any thermal paste, and, if so, did you properly clean/prep the contact surfaces by removing the old paste first? Also, the thing about the possible backwards installation has me confused as I always thought the air should be sucked away from the heat sink... so, if yours is sucking air into the heat sink, try reversing it (if you can). However, if I were you, I'd just go buy a decent aftermarket cooling heatsink/fan combo and be done with it. Anyway, good luck.   

#8 Madforit

Madforit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

Cheers mate

#9 Madforit

Madforit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

So I aint gonna be able to find an answer easily no matter what i do then ?

I was kinda hoping that maybe someone on the forum would of had the same compuer as ne and they could check for me.

I really do hope someone can help me get to the bottome of this as I really don;t want to end up damaging my CPU as that would be the end for me for quite some time,,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users