Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cookie invader and browser hijack/redirect

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 faster

faster

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

Two problems have arisen just this week. They are likely connected, but who can tell? A short time ago, in addition, something "hit" Firefox and erased ALL my bookmarks. I haven't found THAT culprit yet, either. These two are newer.

I use W98SE and Firefox v. 2.0.0.20 (exclusively).

1. I went to a site to sign a petition. It always shows up with the correct e-mail address and my zipcode. Now it doesn't. I get somebody else's e-mail address at aol and a zipcode I know nothing about. I erased them and put in the correct info, then searched my cookies. I found many with "geeky" symbols that I knew had to be bad news, as well as others that looked a bit "off."

Next time, my e-mail and zipcode appeared properly - but only for 2 seconds. Then it switched to the faked one. So I had affected the problem somewhat, but apparently there's a malware that can put it right back.

2. The other problem is that I Googled a recipe, and several of the links I clicked led me to a site beginning with "scrippscontroller," followed by stuff that had nothing to do with food. Ended up on a totally blank page.

When culling my cookies for the first problem, I also culled everything having to do with scrippscontroller. Haven't tried to google that recipe again to see if it worked on that. Other links to the recipe worked fine. Not all got screwed up. It seems clear my browser had been hijacked and redirected, at least in part.

So I have some kind of malware, for sure, and it's doing stuff that (supposedly) only I can do. It seems to be an attack on Firefox, but mightn't there be garbage in my registry too? How can I find the malware that reinstates what I have just eliminated?

Thanks. And with gratitude for not sneering at 98SE. I have no choice.

Holly B.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 08 May 2013 - 04:40 PM.
Moved to AII from Windows 95/98/ME forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyrus not the Virus

Cyrus not the Virus

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

Hi there! 

I used to use Win98 SE until late June 2010 when my desktop MOBO failed till today.Still have not repair it!.Using an Acer laptop Win7 until got hit by ZeroAcess  virus and got Not Responding all the time until now. Now I am using my dad's laptop until I reformat the Acer's HDD.

Warning:I am not a virus, rootkit or malware buster expert! Just a rookie.

Q.1 Is the"geeky" symbols like this yp with two dots on .. ?

yp

Pls answer the above q before going further.

Read Hijack This

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HijackThis

and 

read this

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hijackthis.html

before download at the above site (majorgeeks,com) or at the below

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/

I forgot to ask is there a safemode in win98? If there is we can use Farbar Scan Tool download at this url

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

Sorry for XP and above!

You can use http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Sorry for XP and above! But you can try to download and see if it works on Win98.

Edited by Cyrus not the Virus, 20 May 2013 - 09:13 PM.

#3 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

Sorry I assumed everyone would understand what "geeky" symbols refers to. It's one of the computer programming languages,I think, but I don't know its name. It uses symbols such as the keyboard ones above the numbers, but also letters from other languages, wingdings, etc., to which the programming language as assigned meaning. A meaning only known to those who program things using them. If you open most .exe files in pure DOS, you'll get to see lots of them.

I'm about to try the Fbar tool, but I expect it'll come back with a message that my OS isn't right for it, which happens often when I download an app that isn't compatible with W98SE. I'll try to install and run it in Safe Mode.

And sorry it took so long to get back here. I'll return soon with results for Fbar.

Thanks for offering help.
Holly B.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users