Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Down/Up bandwidth issues for single user account

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 schaadp

schaadp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

Hello!

New to the forums here.  Did some searching and couldn't figure out my issue so I figured I'd start a new post.  

I am having an issue where my bandwidth seems very limited on only one user account.  I normally can get 35-50Mb/s down, 10-12Mb/s up (which is what I am paying for).  Recently, I have been getting <1Mb/s down, 2-3Mb/s up.

I am running a wireless network, all other devices run at good speeds.

Things that I've done to trouble shoot:

-Reset wireless router.

-Comcast refresh signal.

-Ran Microsoft Security Essentials full scan, found a problem with Java, fixed it (I think). Re-ran scan after cleaned, comes up normal.

-Created Test user with Admin privileges, when testing via speedtest.net...I get normal performance with new user (30Mb/s down).

-CC cleaner.

-Turned off Windows firewall, no change.

-Boot into safemode brings back good performance to main user account.

-Very few Processes running in task manager, all seem to check out as normal.

-Drivers are all updated

Any thoughts?  Occasionally it will jump up to normal for a short time, but will return to slow speeds eventually.  

If it helps, this is what I am using:

Windows 7

i3 3220

EVGA 650ti Boost

8GB 1333 Ram

TP-Link 300 PCI wireless card

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HAv0k

HAv0k

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

How far are you from the access point when you're using that account? Also have you checked UAC settings? That might have something to do with it.

#3 schaadp

schaadp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

How far are you from the access point when you're using that account? Also have you checked UAC settings? That might have something to do with it.

Hey thanks for the quick reply, 

My computer is about 20 feet from the wireless router.  It is a desktop, so the distance from the router does not change.  

UAC settings seem normal, on the recommended level, also I don't think they have changed since I first set up the machine a few months ago. 

#4 HAv0k

HAv0k

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

The account could possibly be corrupted according to microsofts help forums: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

If that doesn't work try this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows7/Why-is-my-Internet-connection-so-slow

And if neither work post back here and I'll get back to you! :)

#5 schaadp

schaadp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

The account could possibly be corrupted according to microsofts help forums: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

If that doesn't work try this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows7/Why-is-my-Internet-connection-so-slow

And if neither work post back here and I'll get back to you! :)

Hi Havok,

Thanks for the help.  I tried the top suggestion.  For whatever reason, once I copied the files from one user account to another, the files would not show up in the new account.   However, since trying a couple of times and failing...   the internet seems to have settled down...so I suppose I will cross my fingers for a bit and see if it holds.  

Thanks for your input!  :bounce:

Edited by schaadp, 08 May 2013 - 06:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users