Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best way to take disc image and reformat/install corrupted windows

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

Hi guys,

I have a user who has an absolutely FUBAR registry due to a serious infestation with malware/trojans/virus, although I did a deep-deep manual intensive clean of this computer the registry is so far gone that the only solution forward is a complete erase of the hard disk.

That being said, the owner does not want to do this because they have Adobe CS suites and Microsoft Word Suite installations that they no longer have the keys for (typical)

I'm wondering, is it possible to take a disc image of the contents of the machine and then format the drive, re-install windows and use the image "portionally" or use just what info is needed, i realize a true 1:1 disc image and re-image would leave me right where i left off, but are there any tools out there that can "take the good and leave the bad" so to speak, for my situation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

you could take an image, but there are many programs for key recovery (I find Magic Jelly Bean Key Finder is one of the best) Im not sure if it will find Adobe though.

You could always try running a repair installation of windows, this would leave all programs and files intact but restore all windows components.

Or you could get a small hard drive and install windows on that one as the primary, and run the current hard drive as a secondary drive (good excuse to upgrade to an SSD dont you think?? :P)

#3 drwmbt

drwmbt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

The 2ndary drive AND re-installing windows as a recovery are excellent ideas i hadnt thought of, in fact, they are actually better than even messing with creating/editing images.

Thanks for the insight im prob gonna go with either of those options, hoping the recovery install works first, then try the new hard drive.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

Jelly Bean will get the Office key, but I think the Adobe might be a problem.

Here, try License Crawler to:  http://pcsupport.about.com/od/productkeysactivation/gr/licensecrawler-review.htm

To the OP, I know what you want to do, but it won't work as far as trying to salvage the good.  You need to retrieve the keys for whatever you can.  If the Adobe CS is registered, you can get a key from Adobe support.

Repair install:  Insert the OS install disk and work through the menu till you get to "Upgrade".  Gotta run, if you need help with that let me know and I will find out more info for you.

Edited by dpunisher, 08 May 2013 - 04:49 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

If the registry is messed up...recovery tools/cloning won't be of much value in addressing that.  Such would allow possible reclamation of data files...but it won't overcome Windows corruption, program corruption, registry corruption.

Repair installs are often just an effort made...before doing a clean install.  Desperate users resort to such before the message hits home that a clean install is needed.  I'm not even sure that every version of Windows supports anything called a "repair install"...I know that XP does.

What version of Windows are you talking about, please?

This topic is in the wrong forum and I need to move it to the appropriate Windows forum :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users