Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ERROR CODE 800F0900 windows update failure

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sirot655

sirot655

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

I recently switched back to a pc after owning a mac for a couple years and I noticed after 3 weeks of owning it that it had never asked me to install any updates, so i went into windows update and it says it has never been updated. So i click search for updates and it gives me Errors found:Code 800F0900. I have used a registry cleaner (CCleaner), ive installed the system update readiness tool (Feb. 2013 x64), and I've run the microsoft fix it tool. absolutely nothing works. any help is appreciated!

specs are:

Alienware M14X R2

Intel i7 3630QM

NVIDIA 650M 2GB GDDR5

16GB memory

750 HDD+ 32GB SSD (the OS is installed on the HDD)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

Hi

Are you getting that error for every updates or when installing a specific update ? . Before trying any repair attempts,  uninstall your antivirus software and see if it helps. You can re install it later. 

If that didn't solve the issue, please follow the below steps.

1 ) Make sure Date, time and region settings are correct.

Make sure your WIndows 7 is SP1 installed. If not download and run the SP1 offline setup.

2 )If all areOK download 'Windows Repair ALL in One' from  http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

3) Install and open the tool. Click next to continue. Go to Step 3 and click on the Do it button to run System File Check.

windowsrepairstep3-1_zps935b7603.png

4 ) Go to Step 4 and click on the Create button under System Restore.

windowsrepairstept4-1_zpseb336401.png

5 ) Go to Start Repairs and click on the Start button.

windowsrepairstartrepairs-1_zpsa179850d.

6 ) If it asks permission to backup registry, allow it to do so. Now you will see the main screen.

Click 'Unselect All' to remove default selection. Now select the following items.

Register system files

Set Windows services to default start up

Repair windows Update

Repair Windows Firewall

Now click the start button and repair will start. It may take sometime to finish. If it asks for permission to restart, allow it to do so. Now check the Windows update.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 08 May 2013 - 10:09 AM.

#3 sirot655

sirot655
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

uninstalled micorosft security essentials, problem still happens. It will not even search for updates within the "Windows Update" program, it says "Windows could not search for new updates"

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s460/sirot655/error800f0900_zpsec3b3373.png

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

Hi

Follow the steps i described.  We can re install 'Security Essentials' after Windows update fixed.

#5 sirot655

sirot655
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

alright i just did it and then the "Killer qualcomm wireless" program poped up on startup saying that the LSP was incorrect so i let it fix it and its still not working, did some research on lsp's and apparently they can block windows update, so im going to try to redo the steps without letting the program change the lsp

#6 sirot655

sirot655
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

still does not work

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

Hi

Error “800f0900” means 'an unknown error occured' . This error is very generic and even after a deep search on the internet i can't find a common reason for this issue. Most of the people who suffered this issue are able to solve it by running "Windows Update readiness tool. Since you already tried that and 'MS Fixit  ' it is out of question.

Some malwares are known to block Windows update. Scan your system with "MAlwareBytes free" , "Superantispyware free" and ESET online scanner (one after other)

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

http://www.eset.com/online-scanner-popup/

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 08 May 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#8 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

Hi

Error “800f0900” means 'an unknown error occured' . This error is very generic and even after a deep search on the internet i can't find a common reason for this issue. Most of the people who suffered this issue are able to solve it by running "Windows Update readiness tool. Since you already tried that and 'MS Fixit  ' it is out of question.

Some malwares are known to block Windows update. Scan your system with "MAlwareBytes free" , "Superantispyware free" and ESET online scanner (one after other)

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

http://www.eset.com/online-scanner-popup/

This error code actually maps to CBS_E_XML_PARSER_FAILURE.

However, you are absolutely correct with your research in System Update Readiness Tool. That is absolutely the correct and needed next-step here.

We have already gathered (well, I've told you :P) that this is an XML file corruption. There are only two types of file which are XML files and are likely to become corrupt in this way (you'll have to trust me again here :P): .mum, and .manifest files.

.mum files need to be replaced as a pair with .cat files, however, I suspect that there are either no or fewer corrupt .cat files here otherwise the error code would likely to be 0x800B0100 (another you'll have to trust me here :P).

Fortunately, System Update Readiness Tool scans for corruption in .mum, .cat, and .manifest files. So great, you might think!

So, why does this System Update Readiness Tool fix only sometimes work? Well, the deal is, good replacements have to be sourced for these corrupt files from somewhere. The System Update Readiness Tool carries a large collection of replacement files which it uses (this is why it is so large and why it grows each update - each update adds files from ~the last 2 months). But the problem is, if your corruption comes from an update inside the last two months, or a rarer file, the System Update Readiness Tool won't be able to fix your problem. Detect, yes. Fix, no.

Fortunately, there is good news! As I've already said, it can detect all corruptions. So, the deal is, you get me the log, and I'll manually fix the rest - the ones it doesn't carry in its payload.

And that should be job done :)

[there is of course the chance that there is a worse corruption in addition to this small corruption, but let's hope not :P]

So, @sirot655, please upload a copy of C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log.

Richard

One of the very few people in the world who is truly enthused about Windows Update and how it works...

Yes, I'm a bit weird :P

#9 sirot655

sirot655
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

Heres that file, thank you both for the help

Attached Files

#10 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Hello again :)

Thanks a lot for that.

WARNING: This fix has been created specifically for this user. If you are not sirot655, do not follow these instructions as you could cause serious harm to your computer.

1. Please download Packs.zip and save this to your Desktop from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/57x1gj769lboip6/Packs.zip
  2. Right-click on the file and select Extract All...
  3. Tick the box labelled Show extracted files when complete then click Extract
  4. A window will open showing two folders, Manifests and Packages
  5. Open the Manifests folder and copy the files into the following folder (if there are any files)
    C:\Windows\Temp\CheckSur\Winsxs\Manifests
  6. Open the Packages folder and copy the files into the following folder (if there are any files)
    C:\Windows\Temp\CheckSur\Servicing\Packages
  7. Run the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) again
  8. When the SURT finishes installing, please again upload
    C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

(sorry about the loss of line breaks)

Thank you!

Richard

One of the very few people in the world who is truly enthused about Windows Update and how it works...

#11 sirot655

sirot655
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

It worked perfectly thank you so much! I wish there was a fix that everyone could use :P but everything for me is working, heres the log after the fact though!

again, Thank you

Attached Files

#12 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

It worked perfectly thank you so much! I wish there was a fix that everyone could use :P but everything for me is working, heres the log after the fact though!

again, Thank you

That's great news! Well...I have a working general proof of concept tool that automates the procedure on my end on your end. You simply run it and it fixes this error :P

It's currently stalled due to time constraints, but will eventually be merged with my other tools.

Log looks great.

However, you may have noticed 2 unfixed errors. This was quite deliberate on my part, and is not a mistake. These 2 errors are actually occurring in every SURT log on every computer with IE10 installed, and is caused by a bug in SURT detection. There is no corruption, and nothing needs fixing. Microsoft have promised a fix (actually, they've promised a fix for a couple of other issues too, but they failed to materialize, so we shall have to wait and see on this one :P)

Anyway, the long and short of it is that these 2 remaining corruptions are absolutely nothing to worry about.

Have a good day!

Richard

Edited by niemiro, 08 May 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#13 tomthyrone

tomthyrone

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

thanks for the suggestions., 

ill be posting the log as soon as I have it

Edited by tomthyrone, 25 May 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#14 tomthyrone

tomthyrone

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

Hello., 

Sir this is the Log

Attached File  CheckSUR.persist.log   5.79KB   8 downloads

#15 triddirt

triddirt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

Hi Neimro... You look like you've really got a handle on this tough issue. I wonder if you could take a stab at my persist log.  I've been fighting this for a year...

Attached File  CheckSUR.persist.log   10.21KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users